Monday, October 09, 2023

Pie Pickup Day

Saturday was pie-pickup day at the United Church in Ashton, a hamlet only about ten minutes away from Carleton Place. I had ordered online a pumpkin pie and an apple pie for todays Thanksgiving feast.

Last year, on the same trip, I had detoured around a little to get autumn photos, which were at their peak. But it was rainy on this Saturday, so I chose to drive directly to Ashton and back this year.

Upon arrival, I grabbed a couple of photos of the little park across the street from the church.



I had taken quite a few interior photos on my previous visit for Easter pies here, so I only took one quickie this year with a pano sweep (as discussed a bit recently in my Woolgrowers post). It is such a distinctive church with the pulpit in the corner with pews curved toward it, and along with the stained glass windows, that I couldn't resist taking at least one more photo. Once again, I am so impressed at how well the iPhone handles the lighting, and to think that I can take the photo in a second or two without fussing with the big camera and combined with post-production editing.


I see that I took an almost identical ↓ photo with me dslr last April, but the new phone version ↑ is probably better, at least on first glance.


Back outside, having picked up my prize pies, I did another bottom to top, vertical panorama. I still didn't get the whole width of the building. The warping of outside architecture like this perhaps makes the panoramic style not appropriate, but it was fun to experiment some more. By the way, we can also call a vertical panorama a vertorama. I like that.


I took one more photo looking across the road from the church , kitty-corner to the southeast. It was a dull day but there was still some fairly nice, if understated, colour, and I quite like the image.


Then, I drove directly home without stopping for more photos although I did pass a few very nice stands of trees alongside the highway.

25 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We are not getting as much colour this year. It looks lovely there.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family, AC.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍁 to you and your family, AC, and sure those pies will be enjoyed today by you and your family.

Marcia said...

Delicious sounding pies. Happy Thanksgiving!

DJan said...

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving, friend. I am glad to see all those fine pictures you graced this post with.

Boud said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ed said...

On my phone, there are zoom toggles in the panoramic mode that allow you to zoom out or in before completing the picture. It is unlike other modes where you can change the zoom by pinching or spreading two fingers on the screen.

Vicki Lane said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! And what a pretty church that is!

gigi-hawaii said...

I really should experiment with my iPhone camera. You have inspired me.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family and friends! I haven't tried a vertorama with my phone yet. And I don't think I have that new fangled toggle to enlarge, shrink inside the pano feature. But I've been able to capture a big crowd of people with regular panos.

RedPat said...

The colours don't seem to be as vibrant this year.

Patio Postcards said...

Pretty church & Autumn displays. I made a traditional pumpkin pie along with a new to me recipe for a double layer pumpkin cheesecake. I'm sorry to report that Mr Man gave into the chill this morning & turned the furnace on.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Margaret said...

I am absolutely terrible at taking panos even with the help of the iPhone 12 camera. It does do well with low light though; that's a lifesaver in the dim autumn light.

Celia said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you. Beautiful scenery. Fall here is a little off, leaves dropping, not much color. Maybe from a long, dry summer?

Jeanie said...

Pie pickup day looks and sounds like a winner on every possible level! Happy Thanksgiving, AC! (And Sue, too!)

Red said...

The pies were minor. You got some great shots of the church.

roentare said...

Such an impressive autumn leaves turning everywhere you go

Granny Sue said...

Happy Thanksgiving! The church is beautiful, especially those curved pews. I hope the pies were delicious!

Debby said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. You've all come through some pretty awful times this year, so you have a lot to be grateful for!

Cloudia said...

I would consider that an exciting day! And your photos so pleasing, Autumnal and different to Honolulu.

DB Stewart said...

I clicked the link expecting to see pies, lol. Maybe someday?

Liz Hinds said...

What an interesting and excellent layout inside the church. No wonder you couldn't resist taking photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

We ordered and JB picked up apple pies from our woman at the market. It is a fine tradition.
Hope you are both well.

Jenny the Pirate said...

See now, I think gray skies for autumn color is near ideal. I really like those outside shots. But then I love rainy gray days. And not for nothing but I like the April interior shot better. xoxo

William Kendall said...

Beautiful interiors for the church.

MARY G said...

I have to think about the church interiors - the DSLR did not pick up the colour as well, but I think I like the higher reflections. I have a book on how to use my IPhone, but I need to remember what I read better.
Yeah, wet soggy holiday weekend. We stayed inside and ate, although the ED did a sweep through the bush for an hour on Saturday and got some interesting shots.