Friday, October 06, 2023

At the Woolgrowers

Sue's strong meds and their effects are keeping us fairly close to home these days. We are not doing our usual autumn colour rambles, but we have gotten out on little excursions for her photo prompts. This week's theme has to do with architecture, so we have been revisiting some local structures. One of these was the woolgrowers coop.

Once upon a time, it was a trainworks building, for our community was at the junction of a north-south line and an east-west line. Now it houses the woolgrowers cooperative, which is the wool grading station for all of Canada.

I have been in here many times previously, so I was mainly just hovering about while Sue was clicking furiously. or I was until this door ↓ beckoned to me.


My phone doesn't have a wide angle lens, and I was too close to it to get a regular photo, so I put it into pano mode and swept the camera upward to get the photo. 

It is, therefore, a very distorted image, but  I find myself rather liking the effect, so I haven't tried to correct it, Sometimes, one lucks out rather unexpectedly.

Since I had the phone in pano mode, I took some more photos. This is so darn easy with a phone; you just sweep the phone, and it does the rest on the spot. I remember when doing a pano with an actual camera was a laborious job involving a lot of manual fiddling and faddling. Of course, photo processing software also does it really well now, and regular cameras can usually also make panos, right in camera.

Once again, I am accepting the distortion under artistic license.




I am not much of a phone photographer, but I learned something with this ↓ final pano.


I loved the colour beyond the windows, but my first photo blew out the windows completely. However, when I tapped on a window (on the phone), it adjusted the lighting for the outside. I knew that tapping would set the focus, but I hadn't realized that it would also adjust the lighting. Phone software is quite marvellous.


20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Some interesting effects with the phone camera. What an great place to visit, I did not know that there was a Canadian central wool weighing location.

Your photos from yesterday at Blakeney show that you are having some wonderful colour up your way. It's so dry here that the trees are just dropping their leaves :(

Marcia said...

That is an interesting place and you got some great photos again.

Ed said...

For years, I would often take a series of pictures with my SLR thinking that someday I might stitch them together for a panoramic photo. Not a single time did that ever happen. But once iPhone came out with that feature in the camera app, I have hundreds of them or more.

Barbara Rogers said...

Love these panos...the first one kind of looked like a drunken sailor. But then you explained what you were doing, and I adjusted, just like the phone to seeing the better things in the views.

Jeanie said...

I really need to learn my phone camera better, although the resoltion/pxls are so low, it's almost "what's the point" except when one must....... still. You got some good ones and a good learning experience too.

gigi-hawaii said...

I have an iPhone, but never use the camera feature, preferring to use my Canon pocket camera. It's easier to use than the iPhone, for me at least.

Bindu said...

The phone cameras are powerful nowadays. Even my 5 year old iPhone still gets decent pictures. Your photos are wonderful. Love the distortions as well.

RedPat said...

The first shot reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful photos of an interesting spot! Man, I can remember spending hours trying to stitch photos together to make a pano. So much easier now!

Vicki Lane said...

A great place for photography. You and your phone work marvels.

Margaret said...

Love the last photo! I have trouble with lighting although the iPhone cameras do a decent job with low light. I bet you could be a pro photographer with your phone if you wanted to be.

Marie Smith said...

Phone photos are amazing when you know how to use one. I don’t.

roentare said...

The place has an urbex feel to it. I would spend a whole day there

Red said...

Lots of fun for the photographer in this place.

The Furry Gnome said...

Fascinating place!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

You got me wanting to try this with my phone. Very cool effects!

Jenn Jilks said...

It really is a learning curve, isn't it!
I think, with your skills it'll be easier than for me. Josephine is amazing with hers!

DJan said...

Nice effects. I'm sure you have qualified for that artistic license. I may have to try that with my phone.

MARY G said...

I so often learn something from you - thanks! And I love, love the distorted door.
Did you keep Sue out of the store? I can't get by that place.

William Kendall said...

I do like that door.