Friday, October 20, 2023

I Saw the Doctor

After the whinging here and digesting some of your advice, I decided to break down and call the doctor. I was always intending to, but was waiting a bit for the resolution of Sue's condition — in vain as it has eventuated. I also wanted to see if rest and ice would work. They didn't.

Around 9:30, I called the doc for an appointment next week. As is often the case, I was given an appointment for that day: 11:30 in this case.

I cut the kaffeeklatsch with the lads a little short, kept the appointment, and was home by 11:40.

My doctor, is not of the warm and fuzzy persuasion, but she's efficient and on-point. She won't hold your hand or ask about your kids, but she will drill down to the nitty gritty. She thinks that I likely have bursitis but has ordered an X-ray and ultrasound. She has also referred me to the hospital for physio, but the queue is long and that may take some time, so I may have to bite the bullet and indulge in some private physio whilst I wait.

In the meantime, she wants me to apply ice for 10 minutes every hour and to increase my Tylenol for arthritis from 2 daily tablets to 6. I am already taking a full dose of Celebrex.

So that is that for now.

==============

You may recall my recent posting of Sue tossing leaves for her autumn photo where she goes to the same spot as the other seasons. If you do, you may also recall that there was not a ton of colour that day, for the foreground tree had not changed much.

I drove back on my own to check the situation before doing the weekly grocery shopping There had been progress.

Once I got home from from visiting the good doctor, the sun came out, so the lady and I returned to the park for a second photoshoot. We had pretty good results, which I will post in the near future.


20 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Not a torn rotator cuff, might be good news...I guess. So sorry you have pain. Isn't it just like they said, getting old ain't for sissies.

Debby said...

I'm glad you saw a doctor!

There are exercises to treat shoulder bursitis that you can do at home while you wait to see a physio. They supposedly exercise the joint without putting pressure on it. It can't hurt to try them.

Good luck.

DJan said...

Very nice color indeed. I look forward to that upcoming post, and I do hope something helps that bursitis soon. No fun being in pain.

Boud said...

When I had shoulder bursitis, I did gentle range of motion exercises while waiting to see a doctor for a cortisone shot, a three week wait! By the time it came around, the pain had dropped to where I cancelled the appointment. The really important thing is not to immobilize the shoulder to "rest" it. That can definitely make it worse.

Shoulder issues are miserable, and I hope yours clears up fast.

Vicki Lane said...

I'll take a to-the-point doctor over the warm and fuzzy kind any day.

gigi-hawaii said...

That is a LOT of Tylenol. Wow, think of potential liver damage. Once your liver is damaged, it is permanent. Do be careful.

Margaret said...

I hate it that old(er) age means that something always hurts! Hope that the treatments will help alleviate the pain. How is Sue getting along?

Jeanie said...

Your color has come on well and it's a lovely view. I'm so glad you were able to get into the doc now. Why wait, right? And at least you have some temporary strategies so that's good. I hope you can get the tests soon, even if the PT takes a bit. Then at least you'll know where you are going.

RedPat said...

It sounds like exercises have helped a lot of people with their shoulder pain so I hope it works for you while you wait for the PT.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Be sure to keep your daily tylenol dose to 4gm (4000mg) or less. That's the max safe dose. Sounds like you are fine with what you are taking. I think I have a torn rotator cuff. My range of motion is really limited and sleeping comfortably is an issue. I told my doc I'm not interested in surgery. He had me Xray it just to be sure it wasn't something more serious. Xray came back normal (although an Xray can't diagnose a torn rotator cuff). For now, I'm just going to live with it.

roentare said...

Nothing is proven effective for long term analgesia with generalised osteoarthritis. Only the vague concept of exercise will help bulk up the muscles and reduce pain in a low response rate.

Catalyst said...

I've had doses of bursitis from time to time. No fun but it can be treated with ice and painkillers (i.e. DRUGS!)

MARY G said...

Glad you had it followed and it is being checked. Good work!

Marie Smith said...

It is good you received some help, AC hope you see results soon.

There is a huge difference in that tree! Beautiful!

Red said...

At least you've got some treatment on the go and after tests they may have better stuff for you to do. You probably would get appointments here that quickly.

Joanne Noragon said...

That is lovely color coming along.

William Kendall said...

Good that you saw the doctor.

I've been applying a cold pack for a sore ankle lately.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good you saw the doctor. I know how it is when your partner is ill, you just have to focus on them.
The bursitis in my hip comes and goes. It is so difficult. The aging process isn't easy! All the best.

Jenn Jilks said...

P.S. Physio was very helpful for me. I know the exercises I need to do when it flares.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh! Doctors! My TG had frozen shoulder some years ago and his doctor -- like yours, a woman -- was similarly unsympathetic. Pull on the giant rubber bands, she told him. Hahaha! He did as he was told and eventually the condition resolved. Do I understand you correctly that you were back at home ten minutes after your doctor appointment began? Or was it twelve hours and ten minutes later? I must know. Yours and Sue's chosen spot for photos just gets prettier every day. xoxo