Saturday, October 14, 2023

Update on the Great October Furnace Battle

After almost a week from posting of the Great October Furnace Battle, how is it going?

When I looked at the forecast last week, I thought that I would have capitulated by now, for the highest temperatures would be in the 50s, with 57F, being the usual high as I recall. With all of the nighttime temperatures being in the 40s, and even low 40s, I thought that the inside temperature would become intolerably cold.

It hasn’t worked out that way. Indeed, this morning (writing on Friday for Saturday) the inside temperature is 65F while it is down to nearly 40F outside. That’s a 25 degree difference. (I know that you don’t need me to do that arithmetic for you, but I wanted to highlight it.)

I am quite surprised that it has remained this moderate inside, but we are in a townie with two walls abutting neighbours, so that must help. They may even have their furnaces going. Of course, there is some heating by insolation despite the fact that some of the days have been quite overcast, but the difference still surprises me.

It is not the case that inside temperature of mid to lower 60s are balmy, but we, like good ole Mr Cratchet, do have garments, and they are sufficing for the time being. So, despite the fact that the Scrooge in us refuses to add coal to the fireplace, we are comfy enough.  

As well as it has been going, I cannot predict how much longer we will hold our ground in this battle, for I don’t see any hint of an Indian Summer in the two-week forecast. Will we get an Indian Summer at all this year? (I hope I can use Indian in this context without causing offence.)

18 comments:

Jeanie said...

Good luck. We aren't seeing Indian Summer forecasts here. (Doesn't cause offenses except to the overly sensitive who are offended at anything. I would be proud to have a "seasonal" period called Jeanie Summer.) I digress. It's amazing how warm a house can feel after you've been tromping in the cold -- found that out last week!

Marcia said...

We apparently had frost here on Friday morning. We were oblivious to it. It's in the 30s this morning and the heats on. We set it on 65 at night but forgot last night so it was still at 68.

While we were away this past week we set it to 60 and came home to a very cold house. We fired up the wood stove and that helped the furnace raise the temperature to 68.

Boud said...

Here the house has been warm enough still without the furnace. Cold nights though, but an extra blanket fixed that.

DJan said...

Our Indian Summer just finished yesterday, I think. Just in time for us to miss the eclipse. Bummer!

Barbara Rogers said...

Without any heat source other than myself, I can keep my bedroom temp at around 65. However, a large window means sunny days do warm it up easier. I was so glad to see all your figures in F rather than C...which my brain is too old to learn how to convert. Thanks. Insulation has been improved when these apts. were renovated just before I moved in. I was here the day the guy went into the attic and had a long hose to blow more insulation in. Felt sorry for his breathing, even with a mask.

Marie Smith said...

We haven’t turned on the heat yet either though that may change with company coming tomorrow.

RedPat said...

We finally broke down this week and turned the furnace up to 19.5˚C in the evening but turn it down to 17 at night until the next evening. The warmer clothes have come out.

Blondi Blathers said...

Last winter we decided to lower our thermostat from the 72F where I'm comfortable to the 68F where Scott can still sit around shirtless and be too warm. So far this year we've kept to it -- the furnace comes on at night -- but there are times when my fingers just don't warm up and so far this fall not many but my popsicle toes have already noticed and begun complaining about the summer weather disappearing. I do love winter but my fingers and toes don't.

Vicki Lane said...

We had our heaters on for a few days but today it's off and the front door is open. Indian summer, indeed. (Indigenous Peoples Summer?)

Jenny the Pirate said...

Seems we live in perpetual Indian summer. But you and Sue ... bundle up, buttercups! xoxo

Jenn Jilks said...

I cannot hold out. JB is too frail for me to fart around.
That said, I found it cold this morning, and figured out I'd set the furnace to A/C not heat. I fixed it!

Joanne Noragon said...

My seasonal measurement is my friend Ann, in WI, who generally refuses to succumb to furnace heat before November. 15th, not 1st.

Red said...

I'm a sissie. My thermostat is programed to come on at 21 in the day time and 17 at night.

William Kendall said...

No heat on here, but the superintendent governs that, not me.

J said...

Oh goodness, I wish I could get my family onboard with this. They turn on the heater like it costs nothing, and wander around in short sleeves. Frustrating for sure. But since my husband is the main culprit and he pays half of the energy bill, I have given up on trying to convince him to put on some clothes already darn it.

Debby said...

We keep a little area heater going in the office. A batch of throws allows us to be cozy on the couch in the evening. We like our bedroom cold for sleeping in. We have had to turn on the furnace for a bit a few mornings, but it goes off as soon as the chill is gone. It is also a good time to be baking. We are not quite Scrooges, I guess, but we're very mindful.

MARY G said...

Um, I think it is Hunter's summer, or something like that. Political correctness may cause me to go screaming mad yet.
We have had the furnace on in the early mornings for quite a while. Glass window wall.

Margaret said...

We're getting some nice weather for a couple days but then back to rain. I need to mow my lawn after nearly a week away! I have my gas fireplace on; I wouldn't want Mari to be uncomfortable!