Tuesday, October 10, 2023

The Turkey and the Knife

In these latter years after several turkey mishaps, we have resorted to ordering a turkey breast. It's expensive, but it is our preferred white meat, so we bite the bullet as it were. Besides, it is usually only once a year, and it is not as though we spend a lot of meat, generally not purchasing it unless it is on sale.

After 2.5 hours it had reached past 180F and was cooked and looking pretty darn good.



Now, I'se dunno if it is precisely correct to call it carving the turkey when it is just a breast, but I need this ↓ photo to recount the story of the knife.


Well, it is not much of a story, but I want to tell you about the knife. It's a hand-me-down, and a very old one at that. It was back around 1978 when our neighbour got a new electric knife. She passed this one on to Sue, and we have been using this secondhand knife for these 45 or so years. While I am sure that a new knife would slice cleaner, this oldie but goodie still does the job. Apparently, we are very frugal in some ways, even though we might splurge on an expensive turkey breast.

Aside from the eye-popping expense, the drawback in ordering just the breast is that it comes skinless, and I do confess that I love the skin of a roasted bird. However, Sue had seasoned and juiced the bird well, and the resultant, crispy coating was pretty good.


Of course, Sue made several composites, and I have chosen to share this one.


Last evening, it was part of a most scrumptious Thanksgiving feast, but I am reminded that when I was a boy, I was so enthralled with stuffing that I thought it was the turkey. It is still the highlight for me.




23 comments:

Ed said...

I have a similar knife inherited from my mom that I think came from my grandparents so probably as old or older. I don't use it often these days since I bought an electric knife sharpener that keeps my chef knife razor sharp.

P.S. You do know turkey breast is done at 165F and it is generally recommended that you pull it out when it reaches 160 F as it will continue to cook the other five degrees? If you've been eating it at 180+F all these years, eating it at 165 should blow your mind at how juicy a turkey can be.

Marie Smith said...

That turkey looks delicious. Well done with that knife. It works perfectly so why not continue to use it? We sure would.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done!
JB doesn't like turkey, so we don't buy it just for us. It breaks my heart, to be honest, as my favourite memory is of my mom and dad preparing a holiday turkey dinner!
I remember dad using his electric knife! We inherited it, but our SIL doesn't use it when he is here.

Boud said...

I'm glad the t breast went well. That's a lot of meat, and I think it's catching on because they're suddenly harder to find than whole birds which I'd be eating for months.

Barbara Rogers said...

That sure was a lot of great seasoning and basting, just by looking at the juices! Since breasts aren't prone to have many juices, I figure it's all from the basting! Good for you all making a special celebration by going all out, and balanced well by the frugal knife. I've never used (and don't have) an electric knife, but have a great set of sharp knives for every use imaginable. I'd win in a knife throwing contest, that's for sure!

Karen said...

We have an identical knife in a drawer. Himself uses it for a specific carving. It's been awhile so I can't remember what exactly.
I love turkey. Second day turkey sandwiches and soup are by far my favorite. We make our own cranberry sauce too. It's a three times a year treat.

Jenny the Pirate said...

UGH I make my son-in-law, Chad, carve the turkey (whole bird, unstuffed) on Thanksgiving. He doesn't bat an eye and before long we have a platter laden with steaming, moist turkey meat. Yours looks delicious and it's hard to believe there's no skin! Happy Thanksgiving. xoxo

Jeanie said...

We've skipped the big turkey most years and go with the breast, with just the two of us. If the kids come, all bets are off. They were there last Thanksgiving and hopefully this year, too. I know Rick's mom will be there so it would be nice for us all to be together (but then, shared parents gets complicated for them!) Your turkey looks beautiful!

Margaret said...

That's the part I like the best and wonder where I can order one! I love stuffing too; I eat it with a bit of turkey and some gravy. Delicious!

RedPat said...

We have the same knife and it works well. I cooked a ham for Thanksgiving yesterday.

NGS said...

We had a knife like that in my parents' house. I wonder what became of it.

You're entirely right that stuffing is the best part of the Thanksgiving meal!

roentare said...

Looks yum too. You are a great cook too.

The Furry Gnome said...

We ordered in a turkey dinner and it was great!

DB Stewart said...

Indeed, stuffing slaps. This looks great too.

Debby said...

I am a fan of good stuffing as well. I've never just cooked a turkey breast, but I imagine the day will come. I have an old electric knife as well. They are quite out of fashion, I suppose, but mine works and so...

Red said...

Looks very tasty. W have the same thing for Christmas.

Joanne Noragon said...

Stuffing, hurrah! And cranberries. A lot of left over cranberries, all for me the next day. Happy Thanksgiving.

William Kendall said...

Admittedly I am not a turkey fan.

peppylady (Dora) said...

We had bird for dinner. Chicken that is.

DJan said...

Looks delicious. Happy Thanksgiving there in Canada. :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Looks good! But the skin is my favorite part.

Granny Sue said...

That turkey looks amazing. I can almost smell it from here! I remember my parents getting a knife like that. Mom was so proud of it, a regular status symbol of the times I guess. It did work wonderfully well. I inherited the old carving set, which my son uses every year to carve our bird.
I make great stuffing but never eat it.

MARY G said...

Must have stuffing, although in my family it is called 'dressing', and some people who ought to know better ask me if the turkey is dressed yet.
We had a 13-pound whole bird with the dressing IN the cavity, thank you very much. I have been doing this for over fifty years, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, and have never poisoned anyone with interior dressing/stuffing.
Yet.
Your dinner looks delicious; well done, both Sue and Meat!