Monday, October 30, 2023

Mill Walk

Come Saturday morning, it seemed bright-ish and warm-ish; Sue suggested that we drive up to the Mill of Kintail for a little walk. Maybe we would see some colour, as we had at our Riverside Park on the previous day.

By the time we arrived, however, it was no longer bright, and we observed that there wasn't much colour either. Only a few little trees and bushes held any colour at all, like this one at the beginning of the path that we took.


Or like this plucky little bush in the gloom with the Indian River behind.


In general, however, we were heading into November bleakness, my least favourite month of the year.


Sue's red scarf helped.

This was a vertical panorama shot that I made with the phone.
I tried this with my camera but Lightroom couldn't stitch them together later.
Yay iPhone software!

After we reached the mill, we turned back toward the car by taking the broader path, The sun peeked out, but by the time I raised my camera, it checked out again. Somehow, I still like the subdued photo. Soon, even the leafy carpet will be colourless, but on this day, it was still pleasing to behold.


Finally, the sun shone for us, but I still prefer the dull photo above to the next one.


On the way home, we decided to divert to Tim's for coffee and a bagel, which we took to the park and consumed in the car, as is our custom.


Before I hit publish, please permit me to exhibit my narcissism by posting two photos that Sue took of me on our walk: the first at the start of our walk, and the second when the sun made one of its brief appearances.









28 comments:

Marcia said...

You had your handy walking stick along too! Do you have snow in your forecast this week? We do!

Anvilcloud said...

@Marci8. It snowed last night, not a ton but there is white out there this morning.

gigi-hawaii said...

Well, at least your sleeves and Sue's scarf added some vibrant color to the photos. Not bad.

Patio Postcards said...

I really like photo #6 - it is a calendar contender. #5 a close second. The red of your sweater & Sue's scarf had the focus feature. Snow you say in your region! Please feel free to keep to yourself (col).

Boud said...

How warmly dressed you both are! It must be much colder than here,where it's unseasonably mild. Also wet.

Liz Hinds said...

What a lovely walk. Looks quite cold though.

Karen said...

I like the pops of red we often get by shooting people in an otherwise dull photo.

Jeanie said...

The color is going fast here everywhere. I'm glad I don't have to rake the leaves in that last photo (both those pics of you are great and I am actually loving every image.)

Ed said...

I rather like the "dull photo above" too.

Catalyst said...

Sue's poses make me wonder if she was or is a professional model? And you're not bad either though I prefer the last photo with your back turned.

Anvilcloud said...

@Catalyst. Most people do prefer to see me leaving. 🤓

Celia said...

We didn't get much color here, leaves just dried up and fell. Lack of rain this year maybe, Love the photo of Sue under the little yellow/orange tree.

RedPat said...

All your shots look great although I must admit I like the ones with the sun shining best of all. I agree with you about November and its drearyness.

Margaret said...

I don't hate November but the weather does get grim and the darkness is pervasive. There are several family birthdays and Thanksgiving. John has his late wife's death date and their anniversary to deal with. So, not an easy month. I like the tree photo that you don't prefer!

roentare said...

Just wonderful seeing you enjoying Autumn!

Red said...

Really thick carpet of leaves in the park. they will soon fade

The Furry Gnome said...

I like the first photo of you!

Should Fish More said...

AC
Your photo's for some reason reminded me of two movies, neither of them new. "Blow Up", a 60's movie, become a cult classic for some reason, and "Miller's Crossing"...
Cheers.

Kay said...

You look very handsome, John. And Sue is always lovely. It's terrific how these photographic nature walks encourage you to get outdoors and exercise. Sigh... We should too, I know.

Joanne Noragon said...

Another great day.

Marie Smith said...

That looks like a lovely excursion! Love the shot with the sun through the path!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Awwww AC these are all great! Tell Sue I said she looks like Mata Hari standing there in those first ones! You look great too in your red shirt. Both coming and going. A stop at Tim's is always a good idea. Happy November! Soon that leaf path will be white. xoxo

Granny Sue said...

Number 7 and the last are my favorites, I think. Although there are quite a few good shots here.

MARY G said...

I should enlarge that one photo, but I am betting it is an oak.
I love the path with the shadows shot. And Sue's scarf. And your stance in the first of your two portraits.
I crawled out of bed early this morning because of an appointment, and the day did not improve. At about 10ish I realized that I had NOT HAD COFFEE!!!!! Looking at your Timmy's cup reminded me of this.
The phone stitches? Back to the book.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is as if you colour co-ordinated your outfits!
I love seeing the leaves, even on the ground.

DJan said...

I don't mind November, really. But I hear you about how all the color is gone and it could seem dreary during the short days and long nights.

William Kendall said...

It's getting colder.

roughterrain crane said...

Thank you so much. I enjoyed your beautiful autumn photos.