Friday, October 27, 2023

Two Nights, Three Mugs, and Thankfulness

As has been the case recently, I obtained most of my sleep here, in/on my chair on the two nights in the title.


I began both nights in bed, but I switched to the chair after more than an hour on the first night and much sooner on the second night. At least I got some sleep in bed on night one before my arm/shoulder pain induced me to seek a better spot. On night two, the pulsing pain prevented sleep almost from the outset. I don't know why it was worse then.

On the first night, I slept for seven hours or more and didn't waken until just after seven o'clock. On night two, I made coffee at 3:30 after about only four hours of sleep. I can't explain the difference. although the indoor temperature was warmer on the second night. But really, 19.5C/67F is not exactly torrid and sweat-inducing.

My routine tends to alter when I awaken so early. On the first, late-rising morning, I only had one cuppa coffee, but on the second I consumed three cups (not full mugs) — all by 6:30, as it turned out.

On morning one, I had a light breakfast around 9 o'clock, but on the second morning, I had indulged myself by making a breakfast sandwich by about 6AM.

Breakfast by the computer at 6:06

But I was thankful, especially after night two: thankful for my chair and whatever magic it possesses, for as soon as I switched to the chair from the bed, my pulsing shoulder pain went away to wherever it goes. So, as few as the sleep hours there were, at least they were not painful ones.

I don't know where we're headed with the shoulder issue. I continue to await contact from the hospital for an x-ray and ultrasound. It's a busy, little town hospital, and my issue isn't exactly an emergency. So, we wait.


23 comments:

Marcia said...

If it were me, I'd call the hospital to get the appointment rather than waiting for them to make contact. Here's another option: order a shoulder brace. Dan did that after PT didn't work to relieve his pain in shoulder. Wearing it has helped enormously.

Marie Smith said...

Good morning, AC. I feel for you with the shoulder pain. After the fall from my bike, physio helped my shoulder and CBD cream. I find the cream takes care of the residual pain the physio doesn’t handle.

I recently saw a program by Anderson Cooper and Dr Sanjay Gupta about the Netherlands and how they use CBD in senior’s homes there. We are behind the times for sure. I swear by that cream. It’s good for aches and pains for sure.

Vicki Lane said...

So glad the chair can offer you a bit of relief.

Ed said...

Our health industry has its problems but waiting on an issue like that is not one of them. I could go to a walk-in clinic and probably have the tests done by this afternoon. Despite what some claim, I find that more valuable to be than getting them done for free after a lengthy wait.

Hopefully you get in soon and get some relief. Living in pain is no way to live.

gigi-hawaii said...

One thing after another! OMG. When will you be normal? Haha.

Boud said...

Your health care is falling short of its claims. I never have waits like this, just make appointments, seen in no time. I wish you had the same. The shoulder issue is miserable.

RedPat said...

Maybe your dr could get an x-ray for you at a clinic? It seems like along time to wait for an x-ray.

Cloudia said...

Bless you friend. I hope you feel better soon. Aloha

Margaret said...

That's great that you're getting some sleep in the chair; it's putting no pressure on your shoulder somehow. I hope they can figure out a solution soon! I love breakfast sandwiches, especially when I don't have to make them myself. :)

DJan said...

I too wonder whether a shoulder brace might help. At least the chair seems to work to some extent, which is better than zilch.

MARY G said...

I assume you do not expect a quick fix from the medical world - shoulders are complicated. So glad, as other commenters have been, that the chair position helps.
Hang in there!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Glad you find relief in the chair. Chronic pain is no fun at all, especially when it impacts your sleep. Hang in there!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Generally I sleep fairly well.
Coffee is on.

Catalyst said...

We know about waiting. Perhaps tea would be better for you than coffee. You ARE Canadian, you know.

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope your shoulder is resolved sooner than later.

Red said...

The Micro Manager has a torn rotator cuff and the pain is continuous. I had a torn rotator cuff about 10 years ago so I know the pain she's going through.

Jinksy said...

Commiserations - I know how a shoulder problem can turn bed into a torture chamber! My go to solution, is a variation on the thickness of any pillow I use. For 'side' sleeping, the thicker the better, but to lay flat to sleep I have a more shallow, memory foam one, that adjusts to my head and neck position of its own accord...
Another ruse I discovered (for left shoulder/arm pain in flat back sleeping mode) is to have a soft feather pillow to 'cushion' along the length of offending arm as it lays straight by my side...
I also know that uncomfortable shoulders, elbows or even wrists, can manage to rope in the spine as an annoying family member accomplice! What an old Moaning Minnie that makes me sound!
May your appointments happen soon, and your aches and pains cease.. :-)

Debby said...

Oh boy. We are dealing with something like that here. The CO2 from the laparoscopic surgery has given Tim some awful shoulder pain. He jerks awake a night in agony.

We feel your pain. Literally.

Jenn Jilks said...

So sorry about your pain. It really changes our lives.

Granny Sue said...

Ouch. Pain and little sleep, what a bad combination. I hope you can get seen soon.

Kay said...

You really do look wonderfully comfortable on that chair. I'd love to borrow it.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well I'm sorry this pain is still plaguing you but I'm thankful that you are able to get some good rest in your chair. Here is hoping that the pain either recedes (to wherever it goes) for a good long time, or that the docs are able to do something to resolve the problem. Until then, do what you've got to do, including three cuppas and an early morning snack! xoxo

William Kendall said...

Ouch. A shoulder brace may help.