Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Seeing the World Differently

I really shouldn't shoot so indiscriminately and madly, but I had little time, the trees looked great, and I couldn't resist.

I am referring to taking photos in the park. I showed you a bunch yesterday, and I have more.

One thing that I have never really done is to crop in camera, so, for no real reason on Monday, I decided to do that. Rather than take my standard 3x2 photos, I switched the aspect ratio right in camera to 16:9, which is the same as your monitor and tv. There was no particular reason to do this right then, but it just entered my head to try.

The results in the next three photos were okay but probably no better than I would have done by shooting normally..




Nearer home, some colour and light caught my eye as I was turning a corner, so I stopped the car and ended up experimenting with a different crop — a square crop (or 1:1 ratio). The light shining through the red leaves really drew my attention. 



There is probably an advantage to viewing the crop in camera although I am not sure how much I will do it in future. However, trying new ways may keep my doddery old mind in some sort of shape.

Looking back at the park photos, I did crop another photo into the square format, but it was done after the fact, in edit. It did make the scene more interesting to me by eliminating distracting elements off to the sides. The square ratio might be something for me to use more often in future, whether in camera or in edit.


When all is said and done, I may prefer this last ↑ photo, at least of today's batch.

With another overcast week looming ahead, these may be my final autumnal photos for this year. We shall see. Whatever the case, I feel better for having taken this lot before colourful October fades into bleak November.


17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm loving your red leaves. Square works well on them. And No. 3 seems just right for that long horizontal format. Keep on having fun with choices - wherever they might be.

Liz Hinds said...

Love the second one and those red leaves.

Marie Smith said...

Love the light in the last photo, AC. All are beautiful though!

gigi-hawaii said...

For some reason, today's bunch of photos seems extraordinarily brilliant. Quite remarkable. I guess either the rectangle or the square is appealing; it doesn't really matter. I tend to prefer the rectangle for the wide view, but the square is okay, too.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the close ups of the leaves and the bright tree in the last photo, peeking out between the darker ones.

Boud said...

Interesting to keep experimenting. There's always something to play with!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh! Bleak November! Don't say it. However, we are having a blast of Indian Summer for real ... temps in the low 80s for the next several days. Not a whole lot of color yet. Everything will normalize in the lead-up to Thanksgiving, a mere four weeks away. As to your shots, I prefer the second one to all the others! I like the depth and the color and the sightline and the composition. Have a great Wednesday! xoxo

Margaret said...

You have such a gifted eye(eyes?); I love orange and red leaves and the light coming through them is lovely.

RedPat said...

I rather like the square format here but not for everything. I always crop during editing and never in the camera.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm glad you don't critique my photos! I shoot randomly all the time!

I quite like these. Such a photogenic time of year.

roentare said...

The close up on the red leaves is the most gorgeous

DJan said...

I like the red leaves with all the bokeh.

Joanne Noragon said...

I do like the square format.

Red said...

There's still lots to shoot after the leaves drop. It may not be quite so interesting or colorful, but that's the challenge.

Jeanie said...

The 16x9 is nice. I like them both -- and you had fabulous subject matter to work with!

MARY G said...

I love the square crop photos. But, having said that, the first one in this batch of the tree trunks, what I would call a 'landscape' crop, is my favourite. Not sure why, except I like the textures and the sturdy trunks.

Jinksy said...

My eyes focus on the four tree trunks in the square photo - they look like old standing-stones,, or a group of ancient sages from when the earth was young, and they had plenty of time to stand still and just 'be'.