Sunday, October 08, 2023

The Annual Autumn Game Begins

The watch is on.

2019 - Nov 01
2020 - Oct 12
2021 - Oct 25
2022 - Oct 15

Those ↑ are the dates when we first turned on the furnace in the past 4 years, which is when I started noting the dates on Google Calendar.

It's the annual game that Canadians play: trying to endure as long as possible, pretending that winter isn't on its way. For once winter is here, it's here for a very long time, and even if Sue and I don't mind winter as such, the length of it can be daunting.

I do recall that last year, I turned the heat on after we got wet taking photos on an autumn drive, during which we got out of the car to take photos of leaves being whipped across the street in high winds (photo and video clip below). Once the furnace was on, I left it on, but if memory serves, we could have managed without it until November 01, as we did on 2019.

On this Sunday morning, however, it was only 5C/41F degrees out although the house was a balmy 18.5C/65.3F.. It didn't get much better as the day only warmed up to 10C/50F, if that. It seemed just too darn early to concede, and so I fought the fight of resistance by wearing my wooly hoodie. 

Resist is what I want to do. Hold strong, AC. But the two-week forecast does not have one single day above 60, and the nighttime temperatures will all be in the 40s. I am not sure that we can stay that particular course, but we shall see. The house temperatures will also decline as the cold spell continues.

Sue is the hot one in our house, so she won't mind the coolness for awhile, but she did relent and stick on the little space heater that we keep in the bathroom for times such as these. To go from well-bundled to naked is a little bracing let me tells ya. Yiz just can't seem to hop in the shower fast enough.

I'll keep you posted, but I already feel my resolves weakening. For tonight, however, we shall endure.

Now for that wet and windy photo op and brief video clip from last year. ↓




13 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

We don't try to endure, we just turn on the heat i n September!

Catalyst said...

It's even coming close to turning on the heat down here in Arizona!

Red said...

I let my furnace make the decision as to when it turns on.

DJan said...

We have a new space heater this year, and we've already used it a few times in the morning. But so far we have not had to turn on the (very expensive) apartment heat.

Boud said...

I always like to postpone the heating as long as I can. I have a fireplace insert with a heat function, which I eventually switch on for an hour in the morning. We've had a lot of mild days lately, temp in the house in the 70sf, so the decision hasn't been pressing. For now.

roentare said...

That is certainly a weird habit to keep. There may be a similarity as Australians avoid turning on air conditioner in summer. The autumn street is just impeccable

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The decision to turn the heat on is governed in the mill apts by when management turns off the AC and then lets the system rest before turning on the heat. The rest period is because its an old system; the heat is due to be turned on the end of this week and is individually controlled in each apt. We usually can go towards the end of Oct before using it and this year will not turn it on until Nov due to upcoming travel.

Marie Smith said...

My husband keeps track of when our heat goes on every year. We won’t be turning it on yet. We may have to do it for company coming next weekend.

Jeanie said...

I think I turned mine on one of the last days of September. (OK, I was sick and didn't want to make it worse!). Here at the lake -- no heat, just fireplace and two space heaters. Believe me, all are going (it's 40 outside, with a "real feel" of 35!)

Jenn Jilks said...

With JB fighting all sorts of issues, I've put the heat on the odd time. When we arrived home after our sleepover, it was 17 C! The heat was turned on, and I even made a fire to get out the dampness. The cats were pleased.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh dear ... Sue and I would get along great because I'm the hot one in our house too. Our days are still warm but nights are becoming a tad bit nippy ... high 40s near dawn ... but I won't turn on the heat for quite a while. TG, owning many flannel shirts and hoodies and such, not to mention warm socks, and liking for the electric bill to be lower from roughly late November until at least early April, endures with zero complaint. I don't necessarily like to be cold but I find that, with the heat ON (set to 62, just enough to "knock the chill off"), if I go about household chores, I will soon get too hot if I'm wearing socks and a warm top. So I usually go with a special sweater just for the "cold" months (it doesn't get all that cold here, or at least not for more than a day or two at a time), which can be removed and hung on the back of a chair when I'm busy, and put back on when I'm sitting. I tell the kids early in the season: You lot know that it's cool in my house year round but especially in late fall and throughout the winter. Dress accordingly and I don't want to hear any moaning about it. BTW I think your blowing-leaf picture is STUNNING and I wish the video were a lot longer. Excellent autumn vibe. xoxo

William Kendall said...

Heat is included in the rent for my place, and it's not on yet.

MARY G said...

Luckily I had a lot of baking to do. But we succumbed. It was early morning shivers that got us.