Thursday, April 09, 2020

What's Cooking

Phew! It does appear that Shauna's residence may escape the pandemic, for now at least. Here's hoping anyway. So far, the only positive test result has been that initial worker. She was very careful at work and also self-isolated when she only suspected that she had it (because her roommate tested positive). Also the most suspected resident has had a negative test, and I think they're caught up with testing for now.

I keep knocking on wood, but that leads to a headache since the easiest wood within reach is my noggin. I live in hope, but we shall see.

To lift your spirits, I present the All Abilities Choir in Australia's Got Talent. It is an odd crop, but it works well enough. Warning: this video may induce wet eyes.


Daily Selfie: do you notice how Sue always smiles but that I often ham it up?


Isolation Humour



COVID Assistance

Doing their best: we live in an imperfect country in an imperfect world, but our governments are trying to help people as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here is one person's experience with, CERB, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.


This compares to the huge (and unsafe) benefit lines that I saw taking place in Florida this morning. No, I 'm not trying to rub it in but showing how comparatively well Canada is doing. It could be worse.

Isolation Learning: Life Skills

The kids' step (not really but almost) mother is doing a marvellous job. For Sue's birthday, she had Danica bake a cake: just Danica with only verbal instructions. This week, Danica made pasta from scratch.

Image may contain: 3 people, kitchen and indoor

And Jonathan did homemade pizza and made the crust from scratch.


This is great and probably not something that neither their mother nor Sue and I could be bothered to do. I have made homemade pizza once, but I cheated and used a pre-made crust.

16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Your grandkids will be able to cook for themselves. Such a valuable life skill.

The video of the choir is hard to watch through the tears. It personifies joy!

DJan said...

I haven't yet watched the video but I'm prepared for tears. Your selfie is... interesting. Love the look of that pizza. I want some now. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Yesterday I spoke briefly with my granddaughter on her birthday. They had an ice cream cookie cake for later, after they finished their Olive Garden take out dinner. Sounds like a good evening at least for the foundations. Your granddaughter and grandson are making some great things in the kitchen!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Great hopeful news about your daughter's place of work...And wow! Your grandchildren are learning some great life skills. (And delicious ones.)

PipeTobacco said...

Wow!!! The pizza looks wonderful!!!! I am glad your daughter and her workplace seem to again be steady in regards to the virus. I will also hope that it stays that way for them.

In your selfie.... did you REALLY color your mustache orange or is that an effect from the app? It looks real.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

It kind of looks like you voraciously ate a lot of Cheetos! :)

PipeTobacco

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First, better news about your daughter's workplace and for the health of her co-workers and residents. I know it's somewhat of a relief until the all clear is sounded. Great photos of the grands kitchen skills. There's nothing quite like a homemade pizza dough and pasta - kudos to them.

Shammickite said...

It's a definite benefit to know how to cook. Or how to phone for take out.

gigi-hawaii said...

Awesome video. I loved the harmonica, because it reminded me of my talented brother who taught himself to play it so well. Thanks and blessings!

MARY G said...

Good for th em! Cooking skills are always useful. My husband had to teach me because my mother got impatient with me being clueless or not paying enough attention.
I like your second tree shot in the previous post.
Um, an orange moustache is not your best look. Back to the cats.

Tabor said...

Your whole clan seems to be doing well. I am so happy. Stay safe and smile next time.

Joanne Noragon said...

This is the sweetest post ever from a hammy grampy. Thanks.

Haddock said...

Never made at Pizza at home, but must try now (including the home made crust)

Christina said...

I am pleased to hear that Shauna is ok. Does she stay at the care home? It must be hard not being able to come home. Love your selfies as ever. We usually make our own pizza from scratch (there is no flour now, which is a shame). Cooking skills are so useful. My youngest made a pasta bake the other day (with help), it was delicious.

Rita said...

Yup, a tear or two welled up...goodness!
It is fantastic that they are learning skills like that at a young age. A silver lining to this world event.
Yes, you can brag about Canada's responses and rightfully so. It's a total chaotic mess down below you here. ;)

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm getting caught up. It's been a week. Well, a month.
Fun you can see what they are up to!