Thursday, April 02, 2020

Oversimplification Irks AC

Masks during COVID are controversial, but in my very humble opinion, some of the information. such as the graph below. is not very helpful.

This graphic is making the rounds. While the roughly drawn circles do highlight a definite difference, the labels may be misleading, or at the very least, incomplete.


One could just as easily label the circles Europe and Asia, but that wouldn't be helpful either. How about Oriental and Caucasian? Or near the Pacific and near the Atlantic? For sure, there are are more factors to be considered than masks.

In fact this kind of oversimplification peeves me because trends such as these simply cannot be explained so simply with one single answer. There are other factors that must be put into the equation such as when lockdown occurred and how quickly people complied. It must be the case that lockdown and compliance have to be the most crucial factors.

As far as I understand it, those identified as Mask countries in the chart also, and I think more importantly, responded to isolation and distancing more thoroughly and quickly. The type of society may have something to do with that as these Asian countries may be more compliant to authority and more attuned to the collective good rather than Western nations with their more individualistic ethos.

Let's face it, whether you are pro-mask or anti-mask, social isolation and distancing are still of primary importance. It is not like you can don a mask and then think you are safe to go to a crowded beach party. Distancing is undeniably the best practice: stay in your house and avoid people as much as possible. (I am not meaning to forget sanitizing both yourself and surfaces, but distancing is considered to be the first line of defence from what I can gather.)

The question then becomes this: "If you must go out in public, is it safer to wear a mask?" There seems to be a consensus emerging that perhaps that is the case, but I am not sure that we have quite got all of the way to that conclusion yet. And while I am beginning to lean that way, I would like more input from experts.

Time will tell. Personally, and to repeat, I am beginning to favour masking if you need to be out and about, but in my case, I am not out and about. I am assuredly safer remaining isolated but unmasked than risking personal contact with a mask.

If you have to be out and in contact with others and you do wear a mask, PLEASE don't be lulled into a false sense of security and think that is the end of it. Do wash and disinfect thoroughly.

========================

Having written my puny thoughts on the subject, Sue has uncovered in a cupboard N95 masks, still packaged, that she purchased way back during the SARS outbreak. I am willing to consider wearing one as the topic gains more traction and more information becomes available. I will, however, first and foremost, try to follow the most important advice about distancing and not be totally persuaded by handwritten labels on a graph. I will certainly consider the mask factor, but I will also use my brain as I realize that putting a trend down to a single cause and effect is overly simplistic.

=========================

By the way, mentioning SARS as I did above, reminds one that this outbreak is best medically and officially known as SARS-CoV-2. I am sure that everybody has been searching for one more name for the virus, and so I oblige. 😎

=========================

Now, if I may move onto the important stuff, I present our daily selfie. I am really getting in touch with my feminine side these days.


===========================

After writing my thoughts, above, about the Mask issue, I came across this article that I think is pretty even-handed about the pros and cons. It may help you decide, and if you choose to mask, I think it is worth reading to help you be aware of the pitfalls.

11 comments:

Mara said...

Over here they say that only the most closing of masks (ie the ones used in the hospital) do any real good. All the other masks seem to give you a false sense of security and might as well not be used. Either way, for now I don't wear one, although if I would want one, I would need to make it myself as there are hardly any out there to be had.

I don't see many people over here wearing masks by the way.

DJan said...

Every day in my city more people are wearing them. I think they help keep your droplets to yourself. And some asymptomatic people are spreading the virus. Since we don't know who they are, it's a good idea to protect yourself the best you can.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm wearing one so I don't cough on others (chronic cough, not Covid-19)...and usually have been the only person in one in grocery stores, so far. My painter's mask isn't the right number, and the doctor's office ones are really just for bigger particles. But what I already have isn't going to deplete the medical needs. We have a local sewing project making cloth masks to donate to docs/nurses, etc.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Masks can help by not letting people touch their faces and filtering out some droplets. You and Sue are so lucky to have those really good masks. But I am safer by continuing to stay at home...

gigi-hawaii said...

The best thing to do is social isolation. It means that my hubby should not go to the store so often even with a mask and gloves.

Red said...

It's more than masks when it comes to the virus. there are many things they don't know.

Marie Smith said...

I favor masks but don’t want to leave any essential workers with proper gear. We can’t have a run on masks now until the 50 million on order by the government have been received.

MARY G said...

We found one mask and one pair of gloves, both used. You are a lot better prepared.

Rita said...

I look at it this way, if the masks didn't help prevent you getting sick why would hospital personnel need them so badly? Yes, they are in closer contact, but still. We don't have them available for most folks, regardless. Doctors and nurses need them, so until we have a ton of them...the rest of us don't need them but if you have them be grateful you do, I guess. You may want to be wearing them sometime soon who knows!

PipeTobacco said...

I feel a lot of mixed feelings about masks. The vast majority most non-medical folks could find do not filter sufficiently to keep virus sized materials out. Only The N95 type are sufficiently small to keep MOST viruses out and only if they fit well. But I really do not know. Fiddling with a mask which most people do regularly while wearing one increases significantly the touching of the face too.... and fingers on surfaces is a major link to transfer as well. It is difficult to decide what is best in this regard, I am afraid.

PipeTobacco

Vicki Lane said...

Though I haven't left the farm in weeks, I'm going to wear a mask when and if I do go out. John wore one on his last groery ralong with gloves and a pocketful of sanitizing wipes. Stay safe -- and keep the flowers in your hair!