Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Jolene and the Torrent

The Return of the Daily Selfie. Just remember, you're no bunny til some bunny luvs ya.


On Monday, we took our usual walk on a somewhat nice day: sunny, calm and not too cold.

There was you-know-what to pay yesterday, however. Soon after daybreak it snowed. Then it rained. There was hail in the afternoon, which was followed by snow pellets and then just snow. Throughout all of this, the wind was whipping something fierce with gusts up to 80kph/50mph. What a day!

Back to the Monday walk. We certainly didn't walk yesterday.

I ported my wide angle lens, which is my heaviest lens, but I didn't get the shots that I wanted. You need to get right up to a puddle and low to get the reflection results that I was hoping for. This was almost a pond and not a little puddle, and the edge of the pond was too muddy for me to get close like I wanted to. Of course, I snapped the shutter anyway.



Have you seen any of the Jolene parody songs where the woman in COVID isolation pleads for Jolene to come and actually take her man? There are a few. This is the best acted IMO.


But this is very well sung (as is the other).


Last year at this time our (Little) Mississippi River was raging and becoming a Mighty Mississippi though not quite as wide or long as that other river of the same name. (You perhaps have heard of that other Mississippi. Some have.) There was also damaging flooding in low lying areas.



Thanks goodness we don't have to endure flooding along with the other challenges this year.

However, we are being pretty good about isolating and such in Ontario, and current modelling has us doing much better than the original modelling predicted. We may be on a pace to match South Korea although we are not yet doing nearly as well with testing.

12 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

You do get the weather. I love the Jolene parody.

MARY G said...

Snow blowing around this morning too, but they say the end is in sight. In the meantime, I have to go and put more wood in the stove. Yes, wonderful that the water levels are cooperating this year.
Parody songs are lots of fun.
Do I dare wash the winter coats, she said, looking anxiously at the forecast.

DJan said...

Life is good again, another selfie to bring smiles. I hope today's weather will be more like Mondays for you. Yesterday sounds terrible! :-)

Marie Smith said...

Six weeks is a long time! I know why they are begging Jolene to act!

Barbara Rogers said...

You are such cute bunnies. I like the second pond reflection pic because it also shows the depths of the water. When both aspects of water combine, there's something special about it. Thanks for lugging the right lens to capture it. Now if you all could just get some of my spring sunshine...I'll try blowing gentle winds your way!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We had snow overnight, which is truly discouraging at the end of April, especially since a few days ago it climbed to seventeen degrees. Canada eh?

Mara said...

Our intelligent lock-down is prolonged until May 20th, although schools will slowly start re-opening from May 11th onwards. Apparently children pose no real threat or so they found.

PipeTobacco said...

Even though I am still lax in this regard, I am thankful for your photography... your images keep having a little voice gnaw at my mind to get back to photography myself.

PipeTobacco

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice selfies! I don't know how you add all those things to the photo. I don't know how to do that. That raging water in front of the house is so scary.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Those parodies were great fun. Thankfully I don't quite feel the same way as we do manage to keep out of each other's way even living in an apt. we have had much the same as far as weather, but rain vs. hail and snow and definitely lots of windy days and chilly temps. Nice to see the bunny selfies even past Easter.

Joanne Noragon said...

I never liked that song, and your picks certainly cinched it.
That surely wasn't a little puddle. No way to get your shot.

Rita said...

Absolutely love the depth of those reflection photos!
Cute bunny folk.
Great parodies. People are quite inventive in isolation--LOL!