Monday, April 13, 2020

COVID Outside

Double posting today with a few snippets just about COVID. I think you'll appreciate
the first piece, even if you gloss over the rest.

Baby, It's COVID Outside

A light moment for you: this couple is making the best of it. The sound isn't great, but they're good.



Unglovely Behaviour

I despair. Apparently some nitwits are just dropping the gloves that they had been given for shopping. They just leave them in the parking lot.

In Ottawa there is not a $365 fine for doing that. It doesn't seem like enough to me. I haven't heard of fines in our town yet.

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Ottawa By-law @OttawaBylaw Discarding medical gloves and maskes on the ground is a health risk and it costs you. You face a $365 fine. Gloves and masks should be placed in the trash. #OttCity Don't expect someone else to pick up your waste. Be part of the solution and dispose of gloves and masks properly. 3:45 p.m. 06 Apr. 20 Twitter Web App'

We are not as highly evolved species as we like to think, are we?

One Way Sidewalks

This is interesting. A section of Montreal, called Westmount, now has one way sidewalks, and they have even widened the sidewalks onto a portion of the road where applicable.



This wouldn't be much of an answer in neighbourhoods such as ours where there is only a sidewalk on one side, but in denser urban areas, it is an idea. However, Sue and I have been known to switch to the road when it seems appropriate such as others coming toward us.

Close to Home

There is a long Term Care Facility (aka nursing home in old terminology) in our very town town in which at least 28 residents and 18 staff members have COVID.

O America

It took you 10 weeks to go from 1 - 250 000 cases and 1 week to go from 250 000 to 500 000.

Vaccine Possible

Wouldn't this be splendid?

I have also read that there are 70 labs worldwide working on a vaccine and that three are in the early testing stage.

5 comments:

DJan said...

I am glad that there will be a vaccine for this disease eventually. I just yesterday noticed that our grocery store now has one-way aisles. Makes sense to me.

Joanne Noragon said...

Your COVID couple certainly are good. The man looks so familiar! Like that fellow who used to be on CNN.
I've picked up discarded medical gloves. Disgusting.
I think September is premature, but I will tell you, I'll be first in line for an inoculation.

MARY G said...

It doesn't surprise me that the LTC facilities et al. are having such a rough time. They house the most vulnerable population that we have and even the best ones do not have staff and protocols to stem this sort of thing. They do not have them because the citizens of this great (cough) country are unwilling to pay for top quality care, there or in the hospitals in normal times. It really makes me tired to hear some of them bitch. An example is the people in my local municipality, Lanark Highlands, who bitch about every penny they have to pay in taxes and then bitch about every pothole in their road when the township does not have the equipment and staff to fix them immediately that they form. Same old with the LTC's. I was on our local Community Health Centre board for many years and was amazed at what the staff could do with the inadequate funding that was all the Ontario government was prepared to give them. And how philosophical they were about it..

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After seeing a story about a photographer who made a photo collage from images he took of discarded gloves, I started looking for them on our downtown walks. While I’ve only seen less than 6-7 so far, that’s more than needed to see. People want to protect themselves and yet are so careless about their discards. They should be fined, but I haven’t seen any similar signs here. The opening video was entertaining.

Jenn Jilks said...

What frustrates me most, as someone who used to advocate, is that long-term care are mostly for-profit, but get money from the government for residents in care. Not enough, obviously. Then, there are the retirement homes that are truly LTC.