Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Cooking and Trending

Good morning. Who needs to shave anymore? Not even Sue.


================

I see on FB that the kids are still taking their turns at cooking meals. I think they each do 1 per week, under supervision of course. Her dish was skewers for the bbq; his meal was eggs benedict with bacon and pancakes. They're doing better than I am at this point. Sue and I are mostly scrounging although I did make linguine last week and meatloaf before that. We were prepared to begin bbqing at one point when the weather seemed to be improving, but then it got bad again, very bad. In addition to cobbling meals, Sue has made chocolate chip squares, banana bread, and lemon loaf.



The kids also seem to be coping well with their online classes, which is a good thing since school cancellation has been extended until the end of May. I assume that it will be extended until the end of June when the time comes. Will school reopen in September, I wonder. The government has made provision for kids without access to be supplied with tablets and also internet if need be. Our kids are not without access, however. They both have phones (better than ours) and there are computers in the house. Their dad is a computer geek by vocation.

================

I am heartened by this Ontario graph. Look at the red line: New Cases. After an upward trend for the month of April, or really since early March, there has been a downward trend for 4 days, from an absolute peak of 640 new cases on the 24th to 424 on the 27th. At the [almost] end of April we are back to where we were at the beginning of the month. Look at the Green recovery line too. Update: that was Monday; new cases were up again on Tuesday, not to their highest point, but still up. It continues to be a struggle.





Should all go well, the government has the intention of beginning to loosen the reins on May 5th. Beginning.

================

The heart-wrenching videos keep coming. Here is a virtual rendition of Lean on Me by many Canadian performers. It was recently shown on tv to raise $$ for the Red Cross in their COVID fight. There is a very brief message about leaning together by our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, at the end:


13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Some restriction will be lifted on Friday here. We will see no difference with respect to family since our family is six people and getting together outside, with social distancing is for five people or less. We still won’t be around the kids for another three weeks. It would be better had they allowed two groups to meet, not limited to five. No matter what they did, there would be complaints.

We’ll be able to go for a drive, hike and picnic as we like to do however, though the parks aren’t open. I’d rather have time with the kids.

Jenn Jilks said...

I know people are meeting in large groups. I've seen them. I just hope we can continue to flatten the curve. Where did you hear May 5th? Ontario's report was a bit vague with timelines. I think Quebec opening up schools May 11 is a mistake. It'll convince everyone else to let barriers down. Quebec is a mess.

That was a lovely concert, wasn't it?
Good your grandkids are coping well. Our grandies, using their iPads, was too frustrating. It's tough on families with several kids and no laptops. I was helping Izzy and it was awful.

Mara said...

We are lifting some restrictions here, with primary schools to be the first to open again with children going to school every other day to keep the number of children together low. It seems strange to open up again, but at some point we do need to. We can't stay closed forever and this illness (plus others that will undoubtedly follow) are here to stay in some degree.

We have been sharing the cooking. Yesterday was my turn and I was lazy: I ordered pizza!

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for the music...our small community is full of people who offer to help each other...there was a flyer on my door yesterday asking if I needed any food/meals...from our local charitable ministry. I'm good. Glad to see how the grands are doing.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think I would be quite happy having your kids cook for me. Pretty soon they will be providing the supervision!

gigi-hawaii said...

Your two beards are hilarious. Reminds me of James Hardin of the Hornets.
Your two grandkids are adorable. Love the looks of those BBQ shishkebobs. Stay safe and well.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

That music from Canada had me in tears...Be well! Stay strong!

Mage said...

Thank you for this one too.

Red said...

Great to get the kids involved in food preparation.

Rita said...

Thanks you two hairy ones. I loved Bill Withers and that was a fitting tribute and appropriate for what we are all going through. Nice!

BethB from Indiana said...

Thank you for posting the Bill WIthers/Tribute. It was wonderful.

DJan said...

Well, now I've got tears streaming down my face after watching that wonderful video. Thank you so much! :-)

ANDRAINO ADAMS said...

Good articles, Have you heard of LFDS (Le_Meridian Funding Service, Email: lfdsloans@outlook.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740--lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) is as USA/UK funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.