Sunday, April 19, 2020

Doodad and Hyacinth

A most noteworthy event today — Danica enters her teenage years. I will, perhaps, post more about it tomorrow, but for now, I present a little collage of Danica on her 12th birthday last year.


Let us continue with the doodad of the title, which you can see in the selfie, below. We are back in our masks again but with doodads this time.


The doodads were part of an unexpected surprise from Shauna. The surprise included hyacinths, girl guide cookies, and bread.

But what be these doodads?


I think this graphic explains, without necessitating any superfluous and bumbling words from yours truly.


It is a COVID-friendly, door-opener and button pusher, made by someone local with a 3D printer. Amazing. Sadly, it did not come with that handy dandy holder shown in the third part, above. Life is so hard.

As for the hyacinths, there were two but only the pinkish one is in bloom, so I made a few macro photos.





13 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh that's a very useful do-dad. As long as you alo have a what-cha-ma-call-it somewhere tucked away. I like the retractable handing thing (another do-dad I have no name for). Beautiful flower.

Marcia said...

Elbows work well too to open doors with lever handles and push the elevator buttons.

Marie Smith said...

Happy 13th to your sweet young woman!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well that's interesting!
I'm sure Danica will have a lovely CORVID–19 birthday!

Tabor said...

At first I thought it was one of those doodads that nurses were using to keep the elastic off the ears. Amazing the things people think of!

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy birthday to Danica. Aloha from Hawaii.

MARY G said...

Love the flowers and the doodad. We have now had two birthdays pass in no contact circumstances, the same as you. Sad, but necessary.

DJan said...

I do like the doodad. It's perfect for keeping away from shared surfaces and buttons. I want one!

Christina said...

Happy Birthday to Danica. Whenever someone I know turns 13, I rewatch this little old video: Kevin becomes a teenager (https://youtu.be/dLuEY6jN6gY). It is quite comical really but thankfully no such thing happened with my two older ones. We've got a 13th Birthday coming up in July.

I had to look up doodad, not a word I was familiar with. I don't think I need one of those particular doodads any day soon, I haven't touched any door handles other than my own for weeks now. I haven't been to places actually. The only public place with a door or lift I went to was the doctors surgery and pharmacy (same building), which has automatic sliding doors... Gosh, that makes me a bit sad actually. I might offer to do the weekly shop next Sunday.

Joanne Noragon said...

A lovely doodad. I wonder if they are improvisable!

dellgirl said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Danica! I hope you all had a wonderful celebration. That's an interesting doodad, thanks for sharing it. Love the selfie and the masks!

Rita said...

Happy birthday to Danica!
That is a handy do-dad, indeed. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

One thing is certain, this pandemic has produced more business opportunities for some. This was the first time I've seen that doo-dad and most likely not the last. Congrats to Danica on her birthday, undobtedly this one will be long-remembered. You did find a good photo subject with the hyacinths.