Friday, April 10, 2020

It Snowed

Let us begin with The Daily Selfie as you might want to skip much the rest of this post which is COVID-related, but not so much the Cooking section which comes next. So maybe read that even if you are going to checkout early.



That ↑ was our standard selfie, but then it snowed. All of the accumulated snow is gone, but it often snows once or twice in April, sometimes heavily. Of course, this very wet snow was melting quickly.



This is Danica's Selfie while she's doing her laid-on schoolwork.



Cooking

Speaking of cooking (as we were at the end of the previous post) I am not much help in this isolation phase of our lives.

You see, the way my brain works, or as it happens doesn't work, my cooking method is to decide on a recipe and then find the ingredients. If they are not already in the house, I go out shopping. And since one can't willy nilly get to the grocery store these days . . . well, I am somewhat lost. Sue, however, is queen of the quick fixes, so we aren't starving.

Since I start with the recipe and not the ingredients, what my brain can't do is figure out what I could do with the ingredients that we already have in house. For one thing, I don't have a good handle on what we have in house.

Oh, I can fry an egg and probably make a meatloaf because its ingredients are pretty well always at hand, but even my light macaroni would require cottage cheese, which we don't usually have in the fridge.

Sigh. I am pathetic.

The Plague

The seniors residence in nearby Almonte is being hit hard with two deaths so far. Unlike Shauna's place, it is an older style home with wards that hold up to 4 patients per room. They also have other accommodations, but 50% of the residents reside in such wards. The residents there also tend to be older and more feeble: not a good combination. Updated: the latest news that I have of this home is that there have been 30 caes and 10 deaths. This is awful.

Our health unit, which covers 3 counties, reports that, as of Wednesday, there are 45 cases in long-term care homes within their remit. There were 123 confirmed cases in all, and there have been 8 deaths.

The good news for Shauna is that her residence can come out of isolation on Tuesday if nothing else occurs. By out of isolation, I mean out of their rooms. They will still be confined to the residence: at least they will be if they want to continue to stay there.

Increase Your Distance When Exercising

On one day, Sue told me of a fit fellow who contracted COVID when he stopped while cycling to talk to another cyclist who had supposedly recovered from the virus. They kept their distance, but he caught the virus anyway and had quite a miserable experience with it.

The next day I came across this article. Without recounting the details (I will leave that up to you), here is part of the conclusion.
On the basis of these results the scientist advises that for walking the distance of people moving in the same direction in 1 line should be at least 4–5 meter, for running and slow biking it should be 10 meters and for hard biking at least 20 meters.
Sometimes, two metres (6 ft) are not enough.

The Border and Health Care Workers

I just came across an article stating that health care workers should not work in two different places in these times or perhaps any time. That reminded me of the Detroit-Windsor situation.

There are 1500 or more Canadian nurses who cross from Windsor to Detroit daily. Some of them work in both countries. At this time, the Canadian hospitals are asking them to choose one or the other.

The Detroit-Windsor situation came under some scrutiny when tRump was holding up 3M supplies at the border. Our economies are so interconnected that Canadians didn't appreciate this short-sighted maneuver. I don't think Detroit, which is a bit of a viral hotspot, could easily cope with losing 1500 workers.










10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

You all look so colorful, and then the huge snowflakes! Oh my! I'm happy that your daughter's ALF is safe and looking forward to having folks out of their confines. Granddaughter looks good too! The Detroit situation doesn't sound good, nor your nearby town with so many deaths in the one facility. My heart goes out to those elders and their families. On cooking: If you've done it daily for 50 plus years, then it's easy to combine things in the cupboard. You have a bit of catching up to do.

Marcia said...

I worried about runners and bicyclists passing me when I walked around the lake last weekend. I should have had a mask or should have just stayed away. Your description of distance is probably correct. Now I just stay away from crowed pathways.

DJan said...

It's impossible to keep the correct distance inside a grocery store that has aisles not much wider than six feet to begin with. Those are HUGE snowflakes. Thanks for the bright and colorful selfie. I don't cook either any more. Hubby does it all, and he's not exactly imaginative, so we just have the same food over and over. Oh well. :-)

Shammickite said...

I haven't visited a grocery store yet as I was lucky enough to book two time slots for pick up this week.... one at Longo's and one at Walmart. But trying to access time slots for the future is impossible, Walmart booked until April 18 and Longo's booked until May 1.
The Care Homes in this town are OK so far but very strict restrictions on who can go in and out.

Marie Smith said...

I hate the grocery store outings! As long as we can keep walking outside, we’ll cope here.

Red said...

Excellent comments on exercising and covid 19. Walking behind a person would be riskier.

gigi-hawaii said...

It's good that you mentioned what 2 meters are - 6 ft - because I had no clue. I am glad that you and Sue are well.

Joanne Noragon said...

We had that kind of snow yesterday. Several times.

dellgirl said...

The selfies are so inspiring, I love what y'all do to/with them.

Snow, huh? I love snow...in pictures, and movies only.

That's really good news about Shauna's residence. Glad to hear that. You all stay safe!

Jenn Jilks said...

That's good news for Shauna.
The Quebec residences are horrible. They haven't had staff going in at all. You can imagine what happens when staff aren't going in at all, or 2 staff for 100 people.
I love your selfies!