Saturday, May 15, 2021

Trillium Time

Our provincial flower, the trillium, is in bloom. They come and go quickly, so I decided to head out very early one morning with the camera. Alas, it was too early, and I didn't get much light on the flowers. But it is okay; it was something to do, and I have pretty good photos from photoshoots in other years.

On a drive on the previous day, I had spotted a patch on a rural road, so that is where I headed on the following morning. This road is not far out of town, but as it was unpaved with forest up to the edge, it could almost have been a hundred miles into the hinterland. I took the photo of the car and road just before I left. As you can see, the sun was rising well by then, so I could have stayed longer to perhaps get better photos. But I hadn't had coffee or breakfast yet, so I packed my gear and headed home.

I didn't feel up to getting down and low with my macro lens, so I put on my longest lens, stood back, peered into the edge of the bush, and took what I could from the roadside.

Aside from the one photo ↑, I shot mainly for context ↓ rather than flower detail. Trilliums grow in somewhat woodsy patches by the sides of roads, and their immediate surroundings are not always exactly pretty. Well, I suppose they don't have to be by roadsides, but that is where I see them. 




And that is probably it for me and trilliums for this year: not the best this time around, but it was nice to get out and photograph the lil darlins anyway. It was pleasant to be out. The sun and temperatures were rising, birds were calling, and the biters weren't biting after the cold night when the temperature dropped close to freezing. 


16 comments:

DJan said...

Very nice captures. They are one of my favorite flowers.

Barbara Rogers said...

That first trillium is stunning. Good for you being creative without coffee or breakfast! A true artist!

gigi-hawaii said...

Trilliums don't grow here in Hawaii. DJan, who lives in Bellingham, Washington, often shows photos of trilliums over there. I guess they grow well in cool wet environments.

Mara said...

I like the way the petals seem to overlap each other. And good on you for trying to take those photos without having had coffee or breakfast!

Mage said...

Gosh they are lovely.

Celia said...

One of my favorite flowers, thank you. Our Dad used to take us for walks in the woods to see Trilliums and Lady Slippers in the spring in W Washington. Brought back very pleasant memories,

Marcia said...

Nice to see the white variety. None of those showed up around here.

William Kendall said...

They are such a pretty flower.

Red said...

You gave the provincial flower it's place and importance.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice photos if you ask me!

Joanne Noragon said...

Such pretty little flowers. I haven't lived near woods for some time.

Kay said...

I love spotting trilliums in forests too. Those are some really great captures.

Marie Smith said...

Great shots of the trillium!

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful trilliums!

Bindu said...

They are beautiful! I love your photo

Margaret said...

I like the woodsy background and admire their hardiness. I never knew what they were!