Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Looking at the Deer Looking at Me

It's blossom time, actually getting late in the season already, so I headed to St James Park where I knew there were beautiful trees. I had photographed them two springs past, mostly with St James Church in the background. I liked them and wondered if I could do better or even as well this year and if they would be any different.

It turns out that I needn't have wondered at all because the street was torn up along with piles of rock, fences and a porta potty.

Needless to say, I didn't linger, but I repeat, below, a few photos from two years ago.




I am definitely in a photographic funk. There seems to be little locally that I haven't done before. Oh, I know that every day is different, but I am still anything but inspired.

I drove to another secluded spot where there lie the foundations of an old house. My idea was to check out whether there might be any possibilities of sunrise photos, streaming through gaps where windows used to be. Alas the area is woodsy, and the biter were out in full vigour, so I retreated.

But while I was in the parking lot. three deer ambled by, a mother with two young ones. They weren't that young, almost as big as Mom.

Mom stopped and looked and looked at me. I looked back at her in appreciation. We did this for a few minutes. My camera was in the back seat, but I didn't want to spoil the moment by trying to grab it and having the deer run off.

I did have my phone, however.



I wonder if they are regular visitors at a regular time? Probably not. So I don't imagine that I will return, but this was at 8AM, so we shall see.



15 comments:

William Kendall said...

I am oddly reminded of a photo and meme: "me watching our cat, who's watching the deer in the yard, who's watching the dog across the street."

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad you captured the pretty blossoms when you did, without the construction crew of this year. And the surprise visit of deer was pretty cool. Glad you were there at just the right moment.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very beautiful shots. Love every single one of them.

MARY G said...

Last year's fawns?

Karen said...

Deer are usually creatures of habit.

Mage said...

Maybe you had needed to photograph the construction crew.

The Furry Gnome said...

Aw, I wanted to see a picture of the porta-potty!

DJan said...

Nice blossoms, and some smiles from the deer brigade, too. :-)

Red said...

Well, go for a good walk in a new place and I'm sure you'll find something interesting.

PipeTobacco said...

Great photos.... especially being a phone camera!!!! I am
Impressed!

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

Good job with your phone and the deer.

Marie Smith said...

What a treat! I saw deer once in Antigonish and almost frightened it away I was so excited.

Rita said...

Maybe you don't think the photos are up to your standards but we love them! :)

Patio Postcards said...

Oh deer! I love to see these beautiful, gentle creatures. I haven't had any sightings in at least a year. Of the last year church blossom photos, the 2nd one would be my favourite.

Margaret said...

I love the juxtaposition of the building with the flowers. There are many deer here and many find them a nuisance, but I still find them endearing. They don't eat my plants though.