Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Quick Takes

I always see the funny side of this thing about washrooms.


It is like we cannot go to the washroom in Ontario from Thanksgiving (mid October) to Victoria Day (late May). I suspect this is true for most of Canada but maybe not for balmy British Columbia.

I can tell you that is an awful long time to hold it. But heck! we're Canadian. Eh?

=================================

Meanwhile, I would like to tell you that vaccine bookings are now available for 12 year-olds and over in Ontario. Our 2 grands have appointments on June 19.

Speaking of which, our daily rate fell to almost 1000 new cases yesterday. Down from over 4000 at the peak of the third wave, this is significant. However, it might be partly due to less testing and/or reporting on a holiday weekend. I am encouraged, but we shall see.

================================

Since school became online again a month or so ago, and the kids are on their own, especially on Mondays and Tuesday, I have been taking over goodies on Tuesdays. 

I started on Tuesday because that's when I did grocery pickup, and I was out anyway. I kept it up on Tuesday once I started shopping again..

Yesterday, I didn't shop but took over treats anyway.

I decided to go to Tim Hortons, and for the first time asked the kids what they wanted rather than just surprising them. To understand our FB messages, below, you need to know that timbits are what they call donut holes at TH. I guess you also need to know that Shauna works in Perth, a half hour away. (I am in blue.)


Unfortunately, I didn't really get to see the kids. When they got to the door, the sky let loose, and my sunroof was open, so I scurried back to the car. It stopped as quickly as it began, and the streets were dry almost all of the way home, so it was an extremely brief and localized downpour.

=========================

On the long weekend just past, I got a snap of two kayakers paddling under the overpass. My camera was set up wrong, so I almost missed the shot entirely. As hurried as I was, it turned out fairly well. It happens sometimes. The kayakers were probably placed better here in the light than when I first tried to photograph them closer to the overpass. Maybe it is better to be lucky than good.










14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

oh yes to glazed sour cream donuts - it's been so long since I've enjoyed one or two.

Totally agree with the photo, sometimes lucky is better than good :)

gigi-hawaii said...

Donuts are great. So nice of you to give treats to your grandkids. Nice shot of the kayaks.

Barbara Rogers said...

would you deliver to North Carolina? Oh phoey. Well, I can drive about 7 miles to a Dunkin Donuts. that's so funny about rain just as you delivered to the kiddos. I like the shot with the underpass.

Tabor said...

We are down to 2% of active cases in our state. Everyone is feeling very safe and over 50% are vacinnated. Soon this will all be memory our grandchildren tell their grandchildren.

DJan said...

Never heard of timbits, but I think I'd like them. Love that photo, it looks perfect to me.

Marie Smith said...

My eyesight is so bad now, half the time I don’t realize what I get in a shot until I see it on computer. Luck is great in this case.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

The kayakers traveling away from the overpass is a GREAT picture ... even if
it was pure luck to see it you were the one who caught it !!

Ed said...

Sometimes we take for granted restrooms here in the U.S. We have a national law saying all businesses must allow anyone with a medical condition to use their bathroom. Most states such as my own have laws stating any business that serves or sells food or entertainment must have bathrooms available to the general public. So generally, one can use a bathroom anywhere in the country at anytime of the day as long as the business is open. I found out the hard way in my foreign travels that not all countries are like this. In some, you have to bring your own toilet paper from home if you want any.

MARY G said...

I go,to,Perth at least twice a week,if you want a delivery person. Might be funny to ,surprise her.

Anvilcloud said...

Thanks. I will keep it in mind. It probably isn’t a good time yet to visit a retirement home. 😙

Joanne Noragon said...

That is a good lucky photo.

Margaret said...

How thoughtful of you to bring treats! I think that's an excellent idea and brightens everyone's day. I love the kayaker photo; they are bathed in light!

Mara said...

Why are those washrooms only open during the summer? And why are they called washrooms? Do people wash in there? Either themselves or their clothes? What is wrong with using the words public toilet? Because I assume that is what they are.

If you are delivering... I will have a selection of goodies and you can pick.

William Kendall said...

The kayak shot really stands out