Thursday, May 13, 2021

Just Dandy

Three days after the weather gave me a modicum of temporary sunlight to photograph the tulips (two posts ago), it cleared up briefly, once again . In point of fact, I think it became too sunny for optimal flower photos, but nevertheless, I went out to the garden with my macro lens.

There were dandelions, violets and forget-me-nots in bloom. While the first two are not normally desired in a garden, they nevertheless, can be a subject of photographic interest.

This post will concentrate on the dandelions, of which we had an abundance.

I disappoint myself when I can't be bothered to use my tripod, but I had to get my stiff body so low for these, that I felt that the tripod could have been more cumbersome than helpful.

The first photo ↑ has the purple violets softly in the background. It was almost a trial photo, but I like the effect of the violets. The next image ↓ has another dandelion, faintly behind but still adding a wee bit of interest. It is also well placed to form a triangle with the two foreground blooms.

The next photo is of the same two dandies but from a slightly  different angle and cropped differently and with a little light flare added in post for fun.

Finally, we have a photo of a single flower but with others in the background. I was down very low for this low key (ie darker) image. I can't always make up my mind whether I prefer low key or high key.


When I look at them full screen (which you can't do here although you can make them larger if you click on one) I think the second image is the strongest. Maybe it is the crop, since it just about fills the monitor perfectly. However, there is no real need to compare. I just enjoy the process and editing each photo as my muse takes me.


17 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I like the photo with the violets as a backdrop. I the second photo, there seems to be a halo on the left hand one. You give the dandelion such a position of glory in the garden with your photos.

I strive to improve my own yellow tulip photos & you are hitting the problem on the head - too much sunlight (no complaints though). I took an umbrella out the other day to diffuse the brilliance of sunshine. I don't have an photo editing software (yet).

DJan said...

I like the first one the best. They are really lovely, though.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to glorify a dandelion! First shot is also my fav...though last is also striking!

gigi-hawaii said...

Very nice use of the macro lens.

Shammickite said...

A golden field of dandelions may not make many people happy, but I think they are lovely!

Marcia said...

Just took a walk and the dandelions are lovely here too.
I can't get down very easily and getting up is not pretty (think downward dog!)

You have some great photos. Are they going up in the cafe for sale?

Anvilcloud said...

@Marcia: I’m not so sure. First, the cafe is not open yet. Second, while people like and admire flower photos, they don’t sell.

Marie Smith said...

Fun with dandelions! They are blooming here today!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots! I do like dandelions.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice photography!

Rita said...

I have loved dandilions since I was a kid. You captured them from the view I got as a child. Loved these! :)

Joanne Noragon said...

Very nice, again.

MARY G said...

Fun. You really got down there. I have the trilliums out, although the bulk of them are small this year, but with trilliums (trillia?) come the black flies, making photography - and anything else - not much fun.
I like £ 2 as well.

Kay said...

I don't know why we don't have a ton of dandelions in Hawaii. It used to drive Art crazy in Illinois. He kept telling the kids not to blow the little puff balls over our lawn.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are so talented!

Cellarpat said...

Love the photos. Photos seem to be the only advantage of these pesky weeds! Although I must say the view of them en masse against a brilliant green lawn is beautiful. Too bad they have that second fluffy white stage...!

Margaret said...

Dandelions are amazingly beautiful! They grow!