Saturday, May 29, 2021

The Lie/Lay Muddle

I swear that I am not usually THAT guy . . . the one who plays grammar fiend on social media. I really don't, but when I saw the following (or something close because I can't find it again), I had to dip my oar in.

Isn't it wonderful to lay in the sun and read all day long?

I swear that I would have let it go on most occasions, but it was posted by a library, and to whom much is given much is required.

So I replied:

Dear Library. It's lie.

Please don't think less of me. I was gentle.

I don't hunt social media judgmentally because, truthfully, I am not even close to being an expert, but on rare occasions, like this one, I feel obligated to be THAT guy.

=========================

I intended to stop with the above, but, as a public service, I will try to explain the difference between the verbs to lie and to lay, just in case you were daydreaming during that lesson in school.

Think of to lie as an action taken by a subject. I (the subject) lie down, at least in the present tense. I would be correct to say, "I am tired and I'm going to lie down," because I am taking the action. 

It would not be correct to say, "I am going to lay down."

If we put a book on the table, we lay the book on the table because the book is an object receiving the action. We don't lie the book on the table; we lay it on the table. But from the book's point of view, it is lying on the table, not laying on the table. I am lying down; I am not laying down.

It's pretty simple really, but there are two tricky bits which are what gets us all befuddled and confused and causes us to throw our hands up in despair over this crazy language of ours.

(1) We can lay ourselves down as long as we are treating ourselves as objects, as in the book example above. "I [subject] am so tired that I must lay my body [object] down." Got it, or is your head hurting?

(2) Even stranger and more confusing: if we are describing the action of lying down in the past, then in that case we lay down. You see, lay is also the preferred past tense  usage of the verb to lie. It just seems better to our ears to say lay in that instance rather than did lie or lied which, although technically correct, feel wrong. Most of us use lay instead of did lie in that case because it seems better to our ears for some reason,

So . . . we use to lie as an action that a subject does, but we use to lay when an action done to an object. 

Usually, by the time people get to the exceptions, they then get confused all over again about the basic usage of to lie versus to lay, but I am sure that it is crystal clear to you now. Right?

Now, stop telling your dog to lay down; tell Rover to lie down. Alternatively, you can tell Rover to lay yourself down. 

Here is Grammarly's take, but I wrote mine first, or at least I wrote mine before I read hers. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/lay-lie/ .


21 comments:

Marcia said...

I am probably one who muses those two words. Thanks for the grammar lesson. Now the newspaper is laying/lying outside and one of us needs to pick it up. Oh, Dan has beat me to it.

Shammickite said...

If you were a chicken, you could lay in the sun quite happily.

Karen said...

That one always confuses me. Die and Dye is another one.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I doubt that people are ever going to get this straight!

Barbara Rogers said...

What a mind twister you gave me...to start the day late, only to find a grammarian photographer blogger! I may just lie down again for a bit!

Anvilcloud said...

@Shammickite: very true but as a chicken I would still be laying an object. So there. lol

Margaret said...

I love grammar and mostly use words correctly, even lie and lay. Lie is intransitive and lay is transitive, eh?

Mage said...

I had that lesson recently, and I still forgot it.

Tabor said...

I taught English and still in my old age, I have problems with that one. Be kind to us ignoramuses.

William Kendall said...

I can be like that.

Side note: I despise Gramarly, and that is entirely due to their ad campaign.

DJan said...

Why that one is so easily gotten wrong is curious. I can't ever remember which one to use so I usually change the sentence so I can avoid it. :-)

MARY G said...

'Now I lay me down to sleep'. Gets them every time. I used to explain it to my grammar classes by saying 'You lay something or someone'. There would be a moment of stunned silence. There would be far fewer errors.
Your explanation is a good one, and I congratulate you on caring. Few do these days.

Marie Smith said...

It is difficult to put the teacher to rest when we leave the profession.

Ed said...

That is one of those trickier ones to remember and I'm pretty sure I'm messed it up before. I'm not surprised it was messed up by a library nor am I surprised that somebody corrected them. It is as it should be.

Now I'm going to lie down. (I hope I got that right!)

Red said...

There some bits in our language that are a pain in the butt and it's situations like these. Thanks for the explanation.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well I think I got it but I'm not sure I care!

Shammickite said...

Chickens can only lay. They never lie. They are very honest birds.

Kay said...

I love it! I've never thought about this and don't know if I've misused the word, BUT now I know I'll be extra careful.

Blondi Blathers said...

Ooooooh, AC ... talk grammar to me!
Now I know who to come to with my inevitable questions.
-Kate

Jenn Jilks said...

Crystal clear. Good work.
Problem is, we are accepting such lack of skill all over social media. When you see it enough, it becomes normal.
Also, the TV personalities are leavin' the 'g' off of a lot of words. The standards change, and language evolves. It's getting more and more difficult to understand meaning in these cases.

Rita said...

That is one I have always been confused about and I am not sure this old brain will remember it now in the future, either--LOL! Sorry. I'll try. ;)