Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Goslings and Haberdashery

As foretold by the prophets of old, our anniversary was a banal affair and not really an affair at all by any rational measure.

For whatever reason, we were both dragging, me after my very early morning and iPhotographing the deer. I do plan to begin to get up earlier and drag myself out with the camera, at least sometimes. Recently, I have been sleeping in until 5 or later, but that is when the sun gets up. Ideally, I should be in place before sunrise, so my plan is to arise closer to 4AM. But this post isn't about that; I just got a bit diverted and may post more about that on another occasion.

So . . . as I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself, we were both feeling lethargic. However, by late afternoon, Sue decided that we should go check out the pond, for we had heard that there were goslings. I was agreeable but only to drive over and do our walking once there. I wanted to use my long lens but was not disposed to walking it over there  The pond has been disappointing this year, but sure enough we did find goslings after I roused my sadsack self enough to drive over. .

We sat on our usual bench and took our usual selfie, except I didn't quite get my hand out of the way.

I was dressed in the finest haberdashery: red shorts, orange shoes, and red tartan cap.


Sue noticed some clashing in my ensemble, but as I have written before, I am in my don't give a fig stage of life. Mind you, I do always consider what my beloved has to say about each and every thing that she has something to say about.

We walked along the trail until we came to one of those little bridges. Not wanting to be close to anyone, we turned back. That's when we came across this young robin who seemed to be wondering what it is supposed to be doing in this life. It was just sitting in the water at the edge of the river, seemingly clueless about what to do next, such as beat a hasty retreat from two-legged creatures.

I squeezed off a bunch of photos but didn't know until I got home that the bird actually splashed its wings in one. This pleased me.


And yes, there were goslings  and more than one family. You will see in the final photo that the goslings in the background are bigger than the ones in the foreground.





Oh, I almost forgot. We did have anniversary fudge and pizza.



The pizza was Hawaiian with ham and pineapple, plus double cheese. When my stomach doesn't feel up to our most preferred toppings — mushrooms, pepperoni, and bacon — this is what we order, and it is almost as good. By the way, the mushroom, pepperoni, and bacon pizza is called The Canadian. But I suspect it isn't called that elsewhere. Is it called The American down south or The Britannia over the pond, perchance?

 

15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Nice capture of the Robin mid bath. This year we haven't seen too many goslings out & about, our normal sighting location has been far too crowded by the dog walkers this pandemic. I do like pineapple on my pizza. In your photo of the anniversary pizza, I chuckled because on one of the community F/B pages an argument has begun over, cheese over the top of everything or toppings on top of the cheese. It's pizza, IMO, how can either be wrong with the near perfect food?!

Marie Smith said...

Great shots of the goslings and the robin having a splash! The goslings grow so quickly! The yellow fluff will soon be gone.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad the excursion also gave you a chance to use that long lens, AC. The robin caught drying its wings was a good capture and better as it was unexpected. Our anniversary meal was a burger and onion rings as it was some 24 years ago, but different locale entirely. We have never tried a pizza with pineapple, maybe ine day.

DJan said...

What a nice anniversary you two had. And I do love the goslings all in a line with Mum and Dad. Your outfit is quite fetching. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Now I want red shorts! We've had some ducklings (pictures soon) but none of the geese seem to have babies. Oh well. I was out sick last month, so may have missed them all. Lovely looking anniversary celebration. So glad you have that huge lens to catch every little thing!

Ed said...

I must have early onset "I don't give a fig"!

Down here we call it mushroom, pepperoni an sausage. But we do have a Canadian Bacon pizza.

Margaret said...

Happy Anniversary! Pizza is one of my favorites and I love Hawaiian. The other one doesn't have a name here, as far as I know. (or it would have a cutesy name like The Meat Lover) Love the duck photo!

Red said...

I'm with you on the mismatch of clothing. I don' always listen my closest advisor.

Marcia said...

I have to tell you that the worst pizza we ever encountered was in Canada. We were driving across Ontario east to west from Timmins with the destination being Wawa which I think is on Lake Superior. We stopped for lunch somewhere on that route and there were not many towns at all and ordered pizza with pepperoni. The pepperoni was more like bologna or salami and piled so thickly on the pizza. I can't recall if any of us ate much of it but if we did we took off the layers of meat in an attempt to stomach it.

Anvilcloud said...

@Marcia. Sorry about that. You were sure in the wilds up there, but that is no excuse.

Mage said...

Yes, we just had one of those lethargic anniversaries too. Preoccupied with medical stuff. You two look great...even if your shoes do clash. Love all the birds.

Joanne Noragon said...

The robin bath is a fine shot.

Rita said...

Pizza and fudge were found for the occasion! Wonderful! :)

William Kendall said...

Those goslings will grow fast

Vicki Lane said...

Great capture of the robin!