Friday, May 14, 2021

Unforgotten

Aside from dandelions, we have another flowering weed in the garden — common or Wild violets (Viola odorata)

Back when I built a little garden around the silk lilac tree out front and ringed it with rocks, in my ignorance, of which I have much,  I decided to leave a few volunteer violet plants. I am not so sure that this was the right decision because once you have them you really do have them.

They are now ubiquitous amongst the rocks, but at least they pretty much confine themselves to one side of the garden and to the rock border. Also, that side happens to be on the neighbour's half of our narrow, shared lawn. Still, it rather comes down to us to maintain.

This is what they look like just in case you wanted to know.

The flowers are much smaller than they appear in the photo.
This is also true of the forget-me-nots, below.

Actually, violets aren't so bad as long as they stay out of the cultivated garden, which so far, they have been mostly willing to do.

But right now I am more interested in the ephemeral myosotis (forget-me-nots).


They don't flower long, but every year  when they are done, I scatter the seeds randomly across both the back and front yards. They do grow like weeds in the sense that they require no care and grow happily in the mulch on top of the weed barrier. They don't seem to require soil.

To briefly recount, because I write it every year, these are descendants of forget-me-nots that my dad planted at our now geographically distant, former home, four decades ago. Yay Dad!
 

While I generally tend to process myosotis a bit darkly as in the first photo, I find that I also like the brighter look in the second photo.

We have a ton of myosotis out back as well, so I may take a few more macros before they leave us for the year if I can find a nice hour or two, for it has not exactly been a mild month so far. All of my flower photos be they tulips, violets or forget-me-nots have been squeezed in during brief breaks in the rain, wind and gloom that has recently prevailed.

=======================

On a later day, we (mostly Sue) were doing some work in the garden. I thought I would take a quick phone photo for context with regard to the rocks and violets. This was taken before the first mowing of the season and before Sue pulled most of the dandelions. To repeat: this is the neighbour's half.


While I was at it, I made a little gif of the tulips blowing in the wind.





16 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Looking god! We have lots of violets too --I'm fond of them. But I envy you the forgetmenots,

William Kendall said...

Quite pretty!

Barbara Rogers said...

I was a bit freaked out by the tulips waving in the breeze. Didn't know you would combine your closeups with a GIF. It's my first blog to read today! I liked both your forget me nots and the violets!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Violets and Forget-me-nots are welcome guests in my garden. I am not quite sure how the neighbour's half and your half work, and why you need to take care of his patch. At my house my front yard is in front of my house with a narrow border at the far side of the driveway. I look after mine, the neighbour his - actually hers. I have never seen the guy do anything in the garden.

Ed said...

Last week, my youngest daughter was commenting on all the dandelions that had turned white and were ready to spread their seed. We were driving across town to her school when we passed another elementary school and we both couldn't help but notice the difference. All the lawns before and after had lots of dandelions but the school yard grass was absolutely packed with them. I couldn't help but see the effects of hundreds of kids continually blowing the white seed heads for fun.

Karen said...

we have lots of those little violets across the front field. The forget me nots don't come out until after the lily of the valley is done, but before the monarda. It's a cycle. I'm keeping the dandelions picked as fast as I see them close to the house. I dry the leaves for tea and the young tender ones work best.

Marcia said...

I have violets throughout the grass here. I don't mind at present. I'd love to have some for-get-me -nots. Haven't seen any in bloom anywhere.

MARY G said...

My naturalized violets come from my mother's garden and have a wonderful scent. We also have the wilies, a little paler and all over the place just now.
Your neighbour needs to make a dandelion salad. Or start digging.

Kay said...

I do love the violets and forget-me-nots. Actually Common Violets is the Illinois state flower and we had a lot in our garden which did navigate into our lawn. I love your gif of the tulips. Sigh...

Marie Smith said...

So nice to see blooms of any kind.

Bindu said...

I love those flowers. I will look for them in my yard and the parks.

Doris Potter said...

I love your forget-me-not photos. I never seem to be able to capture them like that!

Rita said...

Love those violets and forget-me-nots! Just make me smile. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I recall your forget-me-nots tale. I've not managed to propagate them. I don't know what I've got to do! I bought seeds yesterday. Again.

DJan said...

Such pretty photos. I love violas and forget-me-nots! Dandelions, not so much. :-)

Margaret said...

Your neighbor has quite a crop. I've never seen wild violets. But I once had pansies and they went everywhere, even into the lawn.