Sunday, May 30, 2021

An Annual Event (so to speak)

We finally purchased our annual bedding plants on Friday. Then there was an overnight frost advisory, so I went out in the dark and brought them into the garage. Twas a good thing we hadn't planted yet. I guess we narrowly missed the frost, however, as it was just a few degrees above freezing when I awoke early on Saturday.

Regardless of further warnings, we (as in Sue) did the planting yesterday.

Most of our annuals go into containers. With horrid soil and high bedrock, it's easier, and we can shift the containers about as the spirit moves.

From back in the day when we had a bigger and mostly perennial garden, I have taken care of the perennials while Sue has overseen the annuals. I don't have many perennials to take care of now, but I may add a hosta and/or a heuchera or two this year.

Sue was never a member of a high school track team, but Allyson (daughter 2, now in Vancouver) was about 30 years ago. Sue kept the jacket for a knock-about for days like yesterday, which was cold in the morning. It adds a layer, but it is alright to get dirty.


She prepares the containers on a table that we found curbside one day. You have seen it previously in more than one outdoor COVID gathering.



A few of the constrainers out front. They will show well in due course.


And out back too.



While we have pulled most of the forget-me-nots, We have left them in the back corner. After they go to seed, I will spread some around for next year.

We aren't plagued with squirrels, but we do spot the occasional chipmunk; this one looks cute back there on the rock by the flowers. It does scurry about, but it sat for a few tics (not ticks) this time.


I wish we could say that we can now sit idly and watch the garden grow, but the trouble with containers is that there must be almost daily watering in the hot summer.


16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Me too...all my pretty dilies are container planted. And I can sometimes see the chipmunk scurrying about. You got a couple of good shots of yours!

Debby said...

I love forget-me nots. They always remind me of a piece of heaven dropped down to the earth.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Container gardening is easy for all the reasons you stated here, now if they could only be self watering as well, all would be perfect😀

Tabor said...

Photo with the chipmunk and forget-me-nots is perfect. Love it. I did not get any bedding plants and have moved more to my perennials. I bought some lantana for the bees and for hubby as it reminds him of his youth in California. Your wife can come design my pots anyday.

gigi-hawaii said...

I love your flowers, especially those blue ones. Cute chipmunk! Don't see any here in Hawaii. LOL.

Marie Smith said...

Frost warnings are common here these days.

Well done, Sue!

DJan said...

That chipmunk shot is pretty perfect, all right. And that was a good idea to leave some FMNs to spread around next year. :-)

William Kendall said...

The munk is so cute.

Kay said...

That's an adorable photo of the chipmunk. I really loved those cute Chip and Dale creatures until they burrowed under our walkway causing it to break.

The Furry Gnome said...

We used to share the garden work too (I was the undergardener so I did all the actual work). Now I get to watch.

Red said...

Gardening is always a challenge but also a lit of fun.

Joanne Noragon said...

That little chipmunk knows he can outrun you, so is brave enough to hang back for a look.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done, both of you! Your faithful readers will await their growth! Hooray for colour!

Rita said...

LOVE the chipmunk! Your flowers are gorgeous. I believe I will get planters filled this coming Sunday and I can hardly wait. :)

MARY G said...

JG does not get along with chipmunks as they dig holes in his nice lawn. I am looking sadly at Sue's planters. I used to do them for our deck - back and knees are saying 'no way' this year. Sigh. And yes, we had quite a frost. Good thing you sheltered.

Margaret said...

I love annuals and also pot a number of them. Petunias are one of my favorites! However, due to busy times with family here, I won't be doing anything this summer. Too little time/energy to water!