Friday, May 28, 2021

Flower Moon

When I awoke at 4, there was a bright, full moon peering at me through the bedroom window. It was almost exactly the time of the full moon. Many call this May full moon the Flower Moon.

I rolled over but not for long. It was an opportunity after all.

Alexa told me that it was 9°C, which is 48° in that other system, so I put on a sweater, and then I donned my winter coat and hat. On the plus side, it was bug-free.

I didn't really know where to head but eventually found myself on High Street with the moon more or less centered over the street.

I decided to take two photos to composite later in post. One photo would be for the street, but exposing for the street would blow out the moon. Then I zoomed in focused on the moon and exposed so it wasn't blown out. Of course, that made the rest of the photo almost black.

After combining them in post, this is the result.


As with all of my photos, it is imperfect. For example: the street lights are out of focus. I was standing in the middle of the street in the dark after all, so it is what it is. Also, I probably got the moon bigger than it was but not much I don't think, and I don't care anyway..

I am happy that I made the effort, but I don't think I would do the zoom approach again. I would simply take two exposures at the same zoom, and then blend them if one exposure wouldn't suffice.


16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah, the mid-night moon shine. It got you! I also saw the same moon through trees in my window, as it somehow woke me up around 4...but while I went back to sleep after my nightly visit to the porcelain goddess, you were out there in the freezing cold plying your art! It seems to have been worthwhile!

DJan said...

Very fine picture of the moon, IMHO. Apparently Blogger got the pictures to upload for everybody again. :-)

Celia said...

Saw that moon here briefly middle of the night. Your picture looks great to me. I just rolled over and went back to sleep.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

Margaret said...

Stunning! The detail on the moon is fabulous!

gigi-hawaii said...

This looks very nice. You should frame it and hang it up at the cafe.

Marie Smith said...

I like it as it is.

Mage said...

i think it great.

Mara said...

I like that moon. We might be able to see the moon in the coming week as well: the rain (read thick clouds) has left. Not sure whether I would be coming out of bed early for it though.

Marcia said...

Moon shone here too. :). Wasn't there a lunar eclipse earlier this week visible on the west side of our continent. Not sure what was supposed to be visible in the east.

PipeTobacco said...

I was wondering about the term “flower moon” when I heard it the other day. Thanks for explaining the concept!

PipeTobacco

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks good to me.

Vicki Lane said...

This is beautiful and full of atmosphere.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's a grand picture.

Rita said...

Turned out very moody and quite perfect. :)

Kay said...

I should have known you'd be the one to get a gorgeous photo of the Flower Moon. That's beautiful!