Thursday, May 20, 2021

First Sunrise in a Long Time

Aside from one quite early morning last week to photograph trilliums, I have been reluctant to go out early. For one thing, it has all too frequently been dang cold. And don't forget about wind, rain and clouds.

But on Tuesday, I done did it, I tells ya.

I arose from slumber by 4 after almost 6 hours of sleep and was on the road before 4:30 having already quaffed one mug of coffee.

I didn't have far to go for the destination I had in mind: a small access pulloff that a farmer might use to get into his field. There were trees in the distance, and I thought I might be looking toward sunrise. I was right for once. Believe you me, it doesn't happened very often.

But oh! the biters. And guess who had forgotten his hat!

I set up the camera on the tripod, squeezed a shot or three, and dove back into the car to escape the nasties for a while. I rinsed and repeated this sequence for about a half hour. After clicking the shutter 25 times over that span, I headed back toward home. By not long after 5:15, I was drinking my second mug of java.

I am only going to post 2 photos from the time span during which a pinking arc of light emerged over the riding sun. Both photos were taken at a shutter speed of 0.6 seconds.



It felt good to get out again after a long winter and cool early spring. This is the type of photography that I like best. It's not a stunning location, but I was privileged to see the sun rise and hear the birds greet the dawn. Just this once, I will overlook the mosquitoes.

The Next Morning

I didn't plan this addition, but I went to the same spot and the sky was very different. with the low bank of clouds, there wasn't even a sunrise per se. But the low clouds look a bit like mountains, so I won't complain. I was using a longer lens and may use an even longer one next time around.



On both mornings, I was only a few feet from the road. I took in in me'ead to step into the middle of the road for a brief moment and looked back to the overpass over the highway. There were no cars, but one still doesn't wish to extend one's stay too long. If I had thought, I would have squeezed the aperture a bit more to get more of a starburst effect from the lights. Maybe next time.





17 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful dawn views.

Marie Smith said...

I always enjoy the experiments you do with your lenses. Great results as usual!

Barbara Rogers said...

Cool shots all. Thanks, and I guess you're just too sweet to wear bug repellant.

Margaret said...

These are stunning shots. I love the trees etched into the color of the sky!!

Mage said...

Lovely happy shots.

Marcia said...

Too early for me. I'll enjoy your pics instead.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice captures with your camera, considering it was so dim.

A Cuban In London said...

That's such a beautiful dawn. But it looks soooo cold, too. :-)

Greetings from London.

Red said...

For all your efforts you got some great photos so keep o getting up early.

Rita said...

These shots were worth all your effort and suffering. Gorgeous! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Better you than me, AC, as the bed was too comfortable for an early rise. That said, I did appreciate that you arose and share your images.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wonderful sunirise shots, and I'd think a great photography success.

Joanne Noragon said...

Great shots, all.

DJan said...

Very nice captures, AC. I like that last one, it has a definite feeling to it.

MARY G said...

I like them all, but number 3 does it for me. The light reminds me of a wonderful trip to southern Africa that we made in the '90's to visit the YD. Fantastic sunrises and sunsets.
Bug shirts. I swear by them. Except you have to unzip the hood to focus. JG says that Canadian Tire is selling repellant treated clothes this year. Maybe they have a hat?????

Jenn Jilks said...

I think I like the colour version of the bridge.
Good work getting out.
Our mosquitoes here, and in Ottawa are horrid. It's just a bad year for them. I put the A/c on, too, as JB's allergies are also horrid.
Gosh, I do complain... sorry!

Kay said...

Then again, this street light photo is awesome too!