Monday, May 24, 2021

Third Time is not always a Charm

Today (the day that I write and not the day that you read) I got up at 4 to . . . well you know. I decided to stay up and head out with the camera. I was going back to the same nearby spot as the two previous shoots, so I took the time to make and drink a coffee and still got there for sunrise.

When I went downstairs, I fed Lacey a bit of tuna. The trouble with that is that she seems to think that was last night and not today and that she now deserves her standard morning feeding. Here it is 7 o'clock and she's very anxious for another dish. I am not so anxious to go downstairs again. I think I'll enjoy my second mug as I put this post together.

You may recall that I intended to return to the same spot one more time to use my longest lens this time around. Theoretically, by zooming even more, I could zoom closer and perhaps isolate individual trees.

But this was a very bad morning for mosquitoes. I did remember my hat, which I sprayed with repellent, and I was wearing long shirt and pants, so I was pretty well covered. But my hands weren't. When I sprayed the hat, I didn't think to spray my hands, and the mosquitoes quickly targetted them. Oh my goodness, they are numerous and rapacious this year! It was not easy to compose and focus and such.

The sunrise was mediocre, but the clouds held some interest.



I wish the foreground was brighter (and it is in a full screen view), but I do try to capture what is actually there for the most part. While I could brighten the foreground considerably which might make the photo more appealing, it just doesn't seem right. Part of the appeal of taking photos is to record how it actually looked and felt. There are some photos that I might go to town on, but not usually landscape photos.

I did take one photo of just the sky. I could potentially use it some day to replace a bad sky in a photo, but I am not particularly likely to do that ether.

I will perhaps move onto a similar spot just a little north of this one. I am not sure it will make much of a difference in subject matter.



14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Amazing photos. Those clouds certainly provided a show. I may be of the few, but I really hope that those clouds would signal rain - it is so bone dry. I think the first photo is quite a mood setting one, cloud patterns, colouring ...

Happy Victoria Day.

Vicki Lane said...

Mosquitos! 4AM! You do suffer for your art. Thank you!

Marcia said...

I like the way the clouds look in that first photo.
Here it's not the mosquitos it's no see ums. Black flies soon to follow. I got bitten by something on my forehead on Saturday evening but it doesn't itch just really red. I didn't even fell it but my son in law noticed it and took it off.

Mara said...

I like how you manage to get out of bed so early. On my days off I like to sleep during the night. It's often enough that I have to get up early for work.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm often up at 5:30, but I have no motivation to go outside. I bow in honour! The bugs are incredibly bad this year.

Bindu said...

Wow
You went out so early! The photos are nice! If you brighten the foreground the sky may not be that stunning.

Karen said...

That long shot is most spectacular.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice shots, but so sorry about the mosquitoes on your hands!!!

Mage said...

So sorry about the biters. Don't let them win. The first shot is my winner for the day.

Kay said...

What a gorgeous sky! I HATE mosquitoes. I don't see them, but I know I'm getting bit by some insect.

DJan said...

Your photos are all well done, as usual. I like the first and the last. Sorry about the bugs. I hope they diminish with time.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yikes...biting bugs stay away! Good to see sunrise photos, since I never see actual sunrises. I kind of blink and say, oh that's why the birds are making all that noise.

Joanne Noragon said...

So many good ideas just don't pan out.

Rita said...

The mosquitoes would keep me home--LOL!
Love the clouds and the color.