Sunday, May 09, 2021

Shopping in Happy Feet

For the first time in 4 months, AC headed out grocery shopping. I could have gone at any time and been safe, but with pickup available, I decided in January that it was prudent to avail myself of the service. Pickup plus Shauna shopping for additional or fresh items has worked sufficiently.

But I have been vaccinated with a single dose for almost 4 weeks, and that gives me very good protection. Besides, the grocery store is pretty safe anyway. I haven't heard of one local case related to grocery stores.

For one thing, it was nice to get out, and for another thing, it was even nicer to pick out my own stuff. What a treat to be able to browse the bakery section and choose whatever bread or buns that appealed right then and there. And then there is the extra goodies that catches one's eye, such as those old-fashioned donuts.

I still plan to use pickup for some items for awhile, but this should allow us to rely on Shauna a little less. For the time being, I plan to limit myself my grocery peregrinations to the produce and bakery sections and will continue to purchase other items through pickup. At least that is the immediate plan.

The very best thing of all, however, was going off my new shoes. They're orange. When one is old, you don't give a fig about what the other boys may think. This is me not giving a fig.


The angle makes my head look huge: a result of holding the camera at eye-level and pointing down to get the feet in the frame. Lowering the camera to closer to waist height would have helped. You can also see the difference in light temperature between indoor lighting on the left and the more daytime temperature on the right, from light coming in through yonder bedroom window.

Even the soles and laces are flashy. Does Lacey approve, do you think?

There goes Anvilcloud on his way to the grocery store with his happy feet.

I guess it is somewhat ironic for a limping oldster to be wearing hot runners, but to repeat, I don't give a fig.

17 comments:

Marcia said...

If they feel good on your feet wear them with head held high!

Barbara Rogers said...

They are terrific looking! I give three thumbs up (assuming Lacy has thumbs she's added at least one.) Comfort is the message that shoes should give. Oh isn't it great to look at baked goods in a grocery! Keep safe.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work! Lacey approves, for sure!

MARY G said...

Those are fine, fine shoes, truly. And yes, when the grocery store becomes a cherished outing, we are surely locked down. I just typed 'lacked'. that too. Wish your partner a fine Mother's Day from me, please. And may the sun continue to shine on you and your happy feet.

Margaret said...

Those are very fine shoes! Looking smart. I do love the expression "I don't give a fig." Now I must find out its origin. Lacey looks unimpressed. She is always wearing her little white "shoes."

DJan said...

It's nice not to give a fig any more about what we wear, isn't it? Love the shoes, and I'm glad you got such a thrill from going grocery shopping. :-)

Mage said...

Bravo...theyy look dashing.

Christina said...

I love bright runners, practically live in them. Yours are fab, orange is one of my old time favourite colours!

William Kendall said...

Lacey just wants treats either way.

Bindu said...

I love that orange shoes. Think the cat approves too.

The Furry Gnome said...

And you look good in them!

Joanne Noragon said...

Mine are purple. Wanna race?

Karen said...

Cool shoes!
I've always wanted a pair of scarlet red shoes. A month or so ago I broke down and bought a pair. Haven't worn them yet. Have to pair them with just the right outfit.....being a gal and all.

Kay said...

I think you look darn cool! It's been relatively safe here in Hawaii so we've felt OK about going shopping now that we're fully vaccinated. However, our COVID numbers are climbing a bit, so how long I'll feel safe is a guess.

Rita said...

I love those shoes!! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You won’t get lost in any crowd with those brightly colored shoes and good for you to be abke to get out and grocery shop. We have never not done our own and agree that making your own selections is wonderful.

Marie Smith said...

New sneakers look great. Go for it!