Tuesday, May 04, 2021

It's All I've Got Today

What passes for my mind is pretty vacant of thoughts and topics this morning. But while it may be time for a blogging pause to rest my old brain, I do have something very little to post in the meantime. It isn't much for sure, but here it is.

Daily, I see on FB, Word of the Day. They can be pretty obscure, and I confess to not knowing most of them. I do notice, however, that I manage to pronounce them correctly much of the time. I know that the pronunciation guide is there on the graphic, but I promise that I said sumpsimus correctly without looking. I am pretty confident that you also did or could do.


I probably looked it up at the time, but if I did, I do not know the meaning of sumpsimus. I will now look for it . . . and . . .  now that I see it, I know I won't remember it.

Sumpsimus definition, adherence to or persistence in using a strictly correct term, holding to a precise practice, etc., as a rejection of an erroneous but more ..

I have two more for your viewing pleasure before I trundle off to do other things. It's a big day — grocery pickup. Woo hoo! The action never stops. 



Addendum. After hitting Publish. I saw this. It fits.



16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Enjoy your new food...and thanks for publishing those words we'll never need or use! I adore Patty of the Peppermint persuasion, if I've got my memory right.

Marcia said...

I knew how to pronounce the last two but not the first.

Bindu said...

Interesting! New words, I never heard of
thank you
Your blog is added to the Blogs I love

PipeTobacco said...

As a biologist I knew of polliniferous..... but the other two were new to me. I too enjoy learning new words. Sometimes they stick and I use them..... sometimes they drift away into the ethos. I guess I enjoy how language can be “sumpsimus” if you look/think about what to say or write. :)

PipeTobacco

William Kendall said...

I can relate to Patty.

Debby said...

I prefer pedant and optimist. Polliniferous is a good word though. I understand 'brain dead'. I too am similarly afflicted.

Ed said...

Once upon a time I used to read a "word of the day" thing and try to use it several times in a sentence throughout the day to make it stick. But I soon found out that I just hung out with the wrong crowd who didn't know what it meant and as a reaction to hearing a word they didn't know, just paused and switched subjects. So I just put those words aside and speak lowbrow English so everyone understands.

Margaret said...

I would have said "see" and not "suh" on the first one, but was good on the other words! Woo hoo! I do several puzzles every morning and Alexa's question of the day.

Marie Smith said...

New words for me!

DJan said...

Never heard that first word, but the others I've run across in my reading, mostly. And I used to love Peppermint Patty. :-)

MARY G said...

You never have 'nothing'. Enjoyed this. I would argue with some of their pronunciation setups, however. 'ian' pronounces like it looks in my lexicon. And I only knew one of these words already. Score! Even if it is laundry day. Food tomorrow here.

Shammickite said...

Now compose a sentence using all your new words.

Joanne Noragon said...

That covers it. My brain is gone, too.

Red said...

I will look for word of the day on Face book. As a teacher , I always had a word of the day on my chalk board. I had to choose words for this project.

Rita said...

The word of the day looks like an interesting thing to sign up for! :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I missed this one!