Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Serendipitous Garden Companions

I really thought that I would be past any more forget-me-not (aka myosotis) macros this year. The plants are leggy now and up to 18" high, and the flowers themselves are mostly past their primes. There are drifts in both front and back yards, and they still make a nice showing although not for much longer.

But I was out weeding. We have weed barrier plus mulch in the garden, but for some arcane reason, some sort of ground cover has planted itself since last year. I don't know what it is or why it has shown up all of a sudden. It looks okay, but it's a weed, and that cannot be a good thing, so I have been trying to pull it up.

It comes up easily because it has just seeded itself in the mulch. But it's a battle to pull it all because it is so ubiquitous.

While getting low and pulling this very low-to-ground weed, I came across a violet juxtaposed with a runtish forget-me-not. 

I went inside to get my macro lens.


The purple violet was about 3" off the ground, so the myositis flowers were very small and low.

The above photo is a combination of 3 shots at wide aperture, each shot focusing on a different part of the flower, which I blended them manually into 1 image in Photoshop.

As I wrote above, by and large the myosotis are leggy, but the drifts make a nice showing. They look more impressive in reality than in the photos which I am now going to post: the first two from the front yard, and the latter two from the back yard.





They will have to be pulled soon, particularly those on display out front. I will let some in the back go to seed, which I will then scatter about for next year. They are biennials, growing into plants in the first year and flowering in the second.


18 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Wonderful close up the violet & Forget Me Not ... you are convincing me I need to get Photoshop. I was thrilled seeing 1 solidary Forget Me Not in my garden yesterday. Mr Man was weeding & called "what about this blue flower thing? keep or rip?" Oh yes by all means keep!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It’s always good to take a break from mundane, but necessary chores like weeding and the first capture was a great reward for you and us.

Marie Smith said...

Such pretty little blooms. I didn’t realize they are biennials. It’s a great idea to pull up many of them since they are so prolific.

DJan said...

I love that first macro shot It's stunning. :-)

Karen said...

Love the photo. They are both lovely little flowers on their own. My forget me not are just getting started. They are in a heavy shaded location along with the lily of the valley. I see it is barely starting to show some buds.

Barbara Rogers said...

You do excellent editing, as the first photo is really nice. I didn't know a thing about forget-me-nots, since I've never seen them growing...so thanks for the info.

MARY G said...

Amazing construct on he close-up shot. Wow. And I love the pale blues in the other shots. Somehow I associate that colour with Sue.

Mage said...

Lovely.

PipeTobacco said...

Beautiful! Even though violets are wonderful...... I have always especially liked the color, design, and “gentle happiness” I see inherent in forget-me-nots even more!

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

That first photo is stunning! I love taking close ups of flowers and my iPhone 12 pro seems to do a good job with them. Worth over $900? Not sure yet.

Bindu said...

Love the macro shot1
Your backyard looks great! Didn't know these plants are biennials.

William Kendall said...

That first one really pops.

The Furry Gnome said...

Those drifts of flowers look nice, but it sure spreads!

Vicki Lane said...

Okay, I'm going to have to find a place for some forget-me-nots. Just lovely!

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope the violet becomes ubiquitous.

Rita said...

Love the macro shot! :)

Mara said...

Ooh, I love those tiny little flowers of the forget-me-not. So pretty.

Paul - The Pie Guy said...

Spring is absolutely my favorite time of the year. Just beautiful!