Sunday, May 09, 2021

Stubbornness in Old Codgers

When it is May, so you turn the furnace off, and you refuse to turn it back on although it is the coldest May imaginable, you wear a heavy hoodie plus a blanket to watch tv.


At a certain age, we have earned the right to not only wear orange shoes but to be as stubborn as all get out.

============================

I am going to leave the above as is, but I relented shortly after writing it after I went downstairs and read that the temperature was 16.5 (or 62). Even then, I didn't relent immediately, but when I considered that it was also damp, I capitulated. 

Sue didn't think that I should have, but she is even more stubborn than I. She also runs hotter.

The temperature will now soar to a balmy 20 (or 68), which is where we set the daytime thermostat during winter.

Twenty degrees is sooo hot for us that I may have to get my speedo out. I hasten to assure you that I don't own a speedo. Dog help the innocents if I did.


13 comments:

MARY G said...

JG has his quilted vest on. But we should be okay be Wednesday. I think there is one thing worse than a cold May, and that is a cold snap in August when all the winter clothes are clean, folded and put, um, where DID I put the heavy hoodies this time? Sigh.

Barbara Rogers said...

Brrr. You make me cold just looking at you. I am sorry you all got another cold snap. Just doesn't seem right. You were smart to turn heat back on...I like dry interior air, and if we have rain for a while, and the temp. inside is close to that outside, I get coughing triggered by the damp. So I will turn the A.C. on (no not a comment about you) and then the heat after it dries out a while. Being able to breathe is worth a few dollars of electricity...and I'm so grateful to have easy to use split units in the walls.

Kay said...

I do wish I could send you some of our warmth and you could send us some of your cool temperatures. We sleep with only sheets these days and sometimes kick those off.

Margaret said...

I am stubborn too and let my heat go down during the day, although it's only during the cold of winter that it gets down near 60. I also cheat by turning on my gas fireplace and sitting by it. How cold is it there right now?

Anvilcloud said...

@Margaret: temperatures are going up this week, so the furnace is back off, hopefully until late October. Temperature is set to rise steadily and may even hit 70 next weekend.

Marcia said...

We still have the heat on here. Set at 69º daytime and 65º overnight. With high temperatures only in high 50ºs we are still cold.

William Kendall said...

It does seem up and down at the moment.

Mage said...

Tht nap looks good to me.

Marie Smith said...

We relented and turned on the heat two days ago. It’s been a cold and wet May.

Debby said...

Oh my gosh! The last line was a classic!

Joanne Noragon said...

My heat is still on, though only 67. I refuse to pay for more.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Canadian fortitude at its very best! But stubbornness might describe it too! You show 'em, AC!

DJan said...

We keep our apartment at 64°F and really don't like having to run the thermostat any warmer than that. Electric baseboard heat is really expensive! :-)