Thursday, October 01, 2020

Local Autumn Subtlety

Autumn is peaking early this year, and the rainy and cloudy weather tend to discourage the usual rural photo excursions. Nevertheless, while Sue was busy doing other things, I decided to take the camera around the neighbourhood. I went no farther than a mile in one direction and less in another and found that there is also some appeal in subtle autumn colour.

Even on our street I liked the yellow leaves both above and below this doorway.


A few blocks away, the beginning of the trail also looked good to me.


And I liked this little vignette backing onto the park around the corner.


The following has nothing to do with the rest of the post (above), but some of you commented on my shorts in the recent Tweed posts. 

I had thought they had been put to rest until next spring when the weather got so cold and frosty earlier. However, in the day in question the temperatures rose to the mid 20s/70s, so I hauled them out again. But then the breeze off the lake in the park was strong enough for me to don my jacket. I rather doubt if they will be worn again this year, but anything is possible with our unpredictable weather. It is only 10C/50F here at 6:30 this morning, with a predicted high of 16/61, which is a nice little palindrome that delights me far more than it should.



16 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The hues of autumn gracefully captured! Well done!

Marcia said...

My husband had his shorts on yesterday after having put them away he thought til 2021.

Rain yesterday brought down lots of leaves but colors today are glorious.

DJan said...

We are having pretty nice weather, but the smoke from the forest fires in California have darkened our skies again. :-(

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely soft colors in these photos. And seeing fallen leaves that match the trees is somehow a balance. Glad to hear the story of the shorts! Mine have all been gradually laundered and put away...but there are a couple of pair for wearing around the house. My walks now have long pants on. I know that's a dangling preposition...sorry if you're a grammar detective. Have a lovely Thursday!

gigi-hawaii said...

Yellow is one of my favorite colors. Nice captures of that pretty color.

Marie Smith said...

So many pretty scenes all around us this time of year!

Jenn Jilks said...

Out in the woods this morning I was thinking I underrate the yellows!

Mage said...

Everything is still green here. Oh, I like that palindrome.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Beautiful evocative autumn pictures. We still have almost no color here.

Margaret said...

Your photos are helping me appreciate fall, which isn't as spectacular around here. Thank you.

Joanne Noragon said...

You have a photogenic neighborhood!

Rita said...

Jacket weather here. We have passed sweater weather, it seems. ;)
Such pretty pics.

Red said...

If you go for a walk and kep your eyes open you will see all kinds of opportunity for photos.

MARY G said...

I like the first shot s whole lot.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Subtle is good and your neighborhood jaunt resulted in good imagery.My husband also is still wearing shorts as we have had warmer than usual temos, but he said this weekend is the last.

William Kendall said...

The temperatures in the city have been up and down in the last few days too.