Tuesday, October 27, 2020

I Was Shot in the Car

We had booked an appointment for our flu shots at the pharmacy, but when our doctor called to say that she now had the serum, we opted to have her do it. Maybe we didn't want to fill in the long forms that the pharmacy required or to sit around being monitored afterward, which they also required.

The doctor's instructions were to wear a mask and short sleeves and to drive to the back door of the medical centre. She would come out, also masked, and inoculate us. That's exactly what happened. The good doctor shot us right through the open window of the vehicle, so to speak. We did not have to exit the vehicle. Strange times, these.

Fortunately, we weren't kept waiting long in our short sleeves on a cool day.This doctor is very punctual. I tell her that she should hold seminars for the vast majority of her brethren and sistren who have no sense of time. I will sometimes find myself leaving a consultation before the actual scheduled time of my appointment.

=============

We do see deer in town on occasion, and you might recall that I hit one back in July 2019. But in our 15 years here, I cannot recall a moose sighting.

But there was one sighted in a automobile dealership very near to us.

The poor thing was later seen elsewhere. It must have been upset and confused.


There is a pub called The Thirsty Moose in town, and someone joked that it must be headed there. In fact, if I followed some of the reports correctly, I think it got pretty close.

With more than 10000 inhabitants, our town isn't all that rural, but there is much surrounding woodland to which I do hope the creature was able to return intact. I haven't heard otherwise.





15 comments:

DJan said...

I hope the poor moose found its way back to the forest! :-)

Marcia said...

We did a drive through flu clinic too. A doctor or medical student came to each side of our car to give of each the shot. Easy!

Poor moose. Must have took a wrong turn somewhere.

Vicki Lane said...

Good approach to vaccinations. Our vet has always done the in-the-car thing for routine shots.

Shammickite said...

I got the flu shot at SDM on the first day it was available. No waiting. Just walk in, sign a form, and BAM!

Barbara Rogers said...

Poor moose...I agree he/she looked a bit unhappy with all the concrete and fences...not to mention buildings! i worry about the animals in CO where the fires have invaded Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. It's not pleasant to think about. Good idea to have curbside vaccinations...I found out later that flu shots only last for about 6 mos, and i got mine pretty early this year. Fingers and toes crossed that it lasts as long as need be.

Blondi Blathers said...

With doctor and dentist appointments, I now call the office shortly before my allotted time and ask whether they're on schedule. If not, I don't go in and sit waiting for an hour more than I should have to.
Nice to see your moose!
-Kate

gigi-hawaii said...

That's a timely doctor, all right. Cute moose. I never saw one in person.

Margaret said...

I got my flu shot at my grocery store pharmacy because I get a coupon for 10% off the cost of my groceries. :) Several friends have gotten shot in their cars. I wonder if the drive through approach will last beyond the pandemic. It seems quicker and safer. Ohh, I can't imagine hitting a deer. :( I'm scared of moose; I saw one in Alaska and they are known for being aggressive. Much worse than bears.

PipeTobacco said...

We received our flu shot about two weeks ago, I think. It should now, hopefully have fully activated our immune responses.

It is pretty neat to see the moose! We have a community trail near our home (where I usually run) and we get to see a great number of deer. They are prolific reproducers in our neck of the woods. And, we live on the slightly outer edges of an 80,000 person community.

PipeTobacco

William Kendall said...

Hopefully the moose got out of town without delay.

Marie Smith said...

Moose on the loose is common in Newfoundland. No moose on PEI though.

Joanne Noragon said...

This moose runs the same in both pictures, opposite side legs on the ground. Most animals have a breed specific gait.

Rita said...

We occasionally get a lost black bear in town and often get deer, but a moose is something different. I hope the poor thing found its way out of there. :)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I've never seen a moose in the wild. Once we visited Vermont and we spent an entire day riding around looking to see a moose.. Never saw one but wasted a lot of gas!

Debby said...

Poor thing!