Sunday, October 11, 2020

Lock 31 and the Bascule Bridge

My first self-appointed task today, is to answer a few questions about our recent breakfast in the cold on the patio.

More than one person wanted to know if breakfast got cold, one person pointing out that eggs can go cold quickly.

You are right about eggs, so Sue ate her poached eggs first and somewhat quickly. My big scramble was in a bowl, so it retained its heat fairly well although I didn't dawdle either.

Another person wanted to know the name of the river seen in those photos. I always hesitate to name it because it is called the Mississippi which can lead to much confusion because it is NOT THAT Mississippi. This Mississippi flows into the Ottawa River and then the St Lawrence at Montreal from where it makes its way to the Atlantic Ocean and not the Gulf of Mexico.

==============

On Friday, the day following that breakfast, we went on a little drive, heading more or less south to the Rideau Canal.

While our destination was Chaffey's Lock, we first pulled into Lock 31, located at Smiths Falls. Many locks have a name, but I can't find one for this lock. I am not even going to show the lock in this post because I have done that before HERE

Instead, I concentrated on the abandoned railway bridge, Bascule Bridge, which hangs over the canal in a raised position.

Then for the first time, we went onto the bridge (not that part but there was a flat section off to the right) where I took this photo.

We did approach the upraised part where I took this photo of the bridge itself. I decided to convert to b&w and to emphasize the contrast. I was quite happy enough to blow out the highlights in an image such as this.

From Smiths Falls we drove to another lock, Chaffeys, which was quite a distance away, I'll likely post about that  within the next few days.



13 comments:

MARY G said...

If I can find my map of the canal, I think that lock does have a name. Will search.

MARY G said...

Way good lift bridge shot.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've never seen a railroad bridge which lifts in that fashion...though I don't really understand how it does. It must be safely locked in that position! I do like the B&W treatment.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I agree with Barbara ... the B&W photo is amazing.

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting information about the Mississippi River. I did not know there was one in Canada.

Mara said...

The shot of the bridge is brilliant. The b&w one I mean. Really love it.

Marcia said...

The Mississippi huh. How did it also get that name? Do you know the history?

Neat pictures of the lock.

Marie Smith said...

Love that last photo!

DJan said...

Brilliant trees, but that B&W shot is definitely special! :-)

Margaret said...

Those fall colors are incredible! I am envious.

Joanne Noragon said...

You can dub it the other M River.
This series of pictures is wonderful. There once were raised bridges in Ohio, even on the Ohio turnpike, but especially in Cleveland, on the Cuyahoga. On the turnpike, I believe the river was the Maumee in Toledo. But it's evening and my brain is going fuzzy.

Rita said...

Cool being able to see the raised bridge!
Love the pick of the colorful trees and the water and sky--just gorgeous. I do love fall so much. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

What a great trip!
The B & W is excellent.
The trees seem to be amazing this year! Maybe just because of the times.