Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Border Talk

I  keep having to remind myself that there is a large disconnect between the stereotypical American and the ones that I know, through Blogger in particular, but also in general. You see, I have to keep reminding myself that those Americans with whom I am in contact are very different from the stereotype that emerges: the cocky, uninformed, anti-science, redneck Yank.

In general discourse here at home, I have found myself informing others that the stereotype is just that. I tell them that the Americans that I know through blogging etc are probably being more cautious about the pandemic than are most Canadians. I don't mean that we are being incautious, you understand, but most of us wouldn't wear masks outside, and some of you do, or have done, at least sometimes.

I tell them about one blogger whom I follow who flew across country to visit her new grandchild. She wore an N95 mask on the plane and then quarantined at her expense for the regulation time before spending intimate time with her loved ones for only a week or so. Upon returning home, she quarantined once again. I can't tell you how much this impressed me.

In contrast, however, just yesterday, I came across this tweet by David Frum whom I have referenced previously HERE, back when he described the differences between the countries that he had found upon crossing from the USA to Canada for his summer retreat. (You have the link and probably read the post at the time, so I won't rehash it here.)

Now his son has just returned to the USA; this is what Frum tweeted.


Frum previously wrote about his own return in more detail a month earlier. I had meant to post about it at the time but lost track of the article. I have found it again HERE.

If you are like me -- to which nobody should aspire to ever! -- you may not be inclined to follow such links as you scroll through your blog list, so I offer some snippets, just for you. The first, for context, recounts his entry into Canada.

When I entered Canada, the single official I encountered wore a high-quality face mask. She asked me to lower my mask briefly so she could inspect my face ... She asked where I would stay, who else would be there, how I would get groceries and other necessities. She took my email address and phone number.

 He then described his experience crossing back into the USA some time later.

On the return trip ... None of the three officers at the [USA] checkpoint wore a mask.

The officer at the inspection booth also did not wear a mask. He told me to remove my mask and keep it off for as long as we talked. He asked as many questions as his Canadian counterpart, but his focus was very different. We talked in detail about the contents of the truck. Was I carrying marijuana? Cash? Weapons? He did not ask a single question about COVID-19 or quarantine. 

He then waved me forward to a secondary inspection ... Two officers there, again unmasked, explained how to drive my truck past an X-ray machine. Afterward, an eighth officer, unmasked like the others, asked me to step out of the cabin so he could look around. 

A little more. I don't know how much quoting is considered fair, so I try to pare it down and use ellipses a lot.

... nobody seemed to reckon with the whole reason that the border had been closed in the first place. Here I was, a potential disease carrier crossing a border, and nobody seemed interested or concerned ... On one side of the border, almost everybody took the virus seriously—and few people had it. On the other, the reverse.

Take care everyone. I know that you are. 

 

18 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

The different opinions re. COVID-19 exist all over my little community too (Americans do have their opinions!) I have begun exercising with my mask pulled down, meaning walking paths alone. If I see someone, I usually pul the mask up. Most of my walks remain solitary however. Thanks for sharing about the border crossing into Canada. I dare say there are also different opinions there. At my rehab program we're required to mask (as many businesses also state on their entrances.) There are many who still walk grocery aisles unmasked. Without any penalty it's still an honor system.

DJan said...

I am proud of my state (Washington) and our approach to masks. I never see unmasked faces in the grocery store, and since I live only a few miles from the Canadian border, I am not surprised to consider why they will continue to keep this border closed for longer. People on the trails when I walk always cover their faces as I approach, as do I.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I am so sad when I see the way some Americans act. I know I can't blame it all on Trump but he has certainly brought out exactly what you mention AC. The incredible hubris and cocky "better than anyone else" (or any other nation) and the racist attitude of so many "whites". It seems like there is a huge part of our country that is ruled only by money and how they can get MORE than anyone else. It's disgusting and I pray we can vote him out and get back to the caring nation that I knew years ago.

Marcia said...

I am really ashamed of those US border agents but not surprised since they are getting their orders from tRump appointees who march in step with him. Now tRump is bragging how he beat Covid. The election and the landslide voting him out can't come soon enough.

Marie Smith said...

I follow David Frum. He has seen both countries first hand this year. Interesting article.

Should Fish More said...

I have one major regret in my 74 year life: in 1971 my wife and applied for landed immigrant status. We were approved, all we had to do was go to the border and declare. We decided not to.
My opinion of the garden variety 'American' is it's a nation of village idiots.

Margaret said...

There are definitely too many anti-science(and anti-mask) Trump lovers EVERYWHERE in the U.S. Even with a mask mandate in WA, I see people without, with the masks not covering their noses, or even just worn over their beard. It seems to be a form of "protest." Pathetic. Thank you for your shout out. I would never want to be responsible for sickening my kids, grandchild or elderly parents. I could never live with the guilt. Quarantining for two weeks was a small price to pay.

Mage said...

Yes, we do wear masks all the time out of the house. Yes, when G goes to the store, I stay in the truck. Once or twice a week when we go swim, that's all we do.

Kay said...

Granted we don’t go very far these days, but everywhere we’ve gone we’ve seen people wearing masks. Hawaii has been really fighting our growing COVID-19 numbers. We have stupid people here too who had big parties and didn’t follow the rules and we’re all suffering from it. It really depends on which community you live in. As for those border agents, they should be reprimanded. However, as the other commenter said, they are probably getting their cues from our clueless, uncaring leader.

Sadly, we have family members who are Trumpers though. I don’t know why. One relative... I won’t name who... Art is having difficulty with because he loves them but can’t understand HOW they could support such a president. I do know they get their news from FOX though.

Shammickite said...

All I can say is Thank Heavens I chose to live in Canada and become a Canadian.
I will be very interested in the outcome of the next few weeks.... and to see if anything changes when (or if) the leadership changes hands.

Joanne Noragon said...

They're just following orders. I crossed the border and back three years ago, and the crossing personnel were courteous both ways. And they were following orders then, too.
Most of all, we need to take care of families and children coming to our southern border.

Red said...

I agree with you. The Americans I know do not fit the stereotype. And yes we're a bit nonchalant about masks.

Rita said...

People are nonchalant about masks here in my senior apartment complex...but North Dakota is quite a republican state, so I am not surprised. I grew up in Minnesota when it was very liberal and democratic. I just can't believe we have a president who has made mask-wearing a political thing! Who has made a pandemic a political thing! It is a medical and human survival thing! Myself--I wear a mask whenever I leave the apartment except on my own patio. But there are only a few other people I see who wear masks all the time in this senior building. Otherwise, I don't get out much. I know we have a lot of businesses that require masks, though.

A couple of the bloggers I follow support Trump...that I know of. Baffles me. Luckily they don't speak of politics often and neither do I. Seems to invite arguments lately and not discussion. I am embarrassed that we, apparently, have a solid 30-40% of this country who support Trump and his lot. Baffles me. Totally baffles me.

Vicki Lane said...

Count me as one of the cautious in the USA. I am appalled at the cavalier attitude of our "president" and how it has infected all his followers.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence in we Americans, John. People are lax about wearing masks and doing other things in many places, and lately even in the mill apt building where we live. It seems that many are "tired" of the restrictions and while that's understandable to some degree, it's NOT good. This week, the city health dept said the virus numbers are up and partially attributed the rise to schools reopening and cooler weather when people congregate indoors more. We do wear masks anywhere indoors, but walking on trails and outdoors with no one nearby we do not. Some may consider this "reckless" but we have also been tested 3X within 6 months after being in certain situations (thankfully negative results). We realize this is a momentary "snapshot." The city offers free testing weekly to anyone who requests it, and recently there has been an upswing in residents getting a test.

William Kendall said...

I am so glad I'm Canadian.

Blondi Blathers said...

I've noticed that too, Mr Air Conditioning. My American acquaintances online, and the few American celebrities I follow on social media, are all very careful, following the health safety rules, and spreading no misinformation whatsoever. I guess it really is true that like attracts like. -Kate

Unknown said...



Thanks For Sharing, DSS Roofing is a one stop solution to fix or replace your Snow removal team in newyork and emergency. Located in Buffalo, New York, providing service such as Roofing repair and installation, chimney construction and repair, roof snow removal, gutter repair and installation, Siding repair and installation.