Thursday, October 08, 2020

Watching Foreign TV

I read some good things about the Norwegian tv series, Wisting. We had resisted watching foreign series and relying on closed captioning up until now, but having run out of alternatives, we decided to give it a try on Acorn.

It was very well done and quite absorbing. I was surprised to find that, after awhile, I was no longer aware that I was reading subtitles.

Having had a good experience with Wisting, we decided to try The Oldenheim 12 set in The Netherlands. While I would rank it below Wisting, I did like it quite a lot.

Our current watch is The Summerdahl Murders set in Denmark. Unlike the previous two series, it uses the more common short episode format rather than following one plot through many weeks although they weren't weeks for us. On Acorn, two 45 minute viewing constitute one episode, and the next set of two involves a totally different case although other threads continue.

Summerdahl is not as absorbing as the Wisting or Oldenheim, but it is passable.

As I mentioned, I was surprised to find that for the most part, I forgot that I was watching a foreign language program except for times when the white captions were over a light background which made them difficult to read.

One other surprise is that I still found it necessary to keep the volume at a somewhat normal level as if I were watching it in English. Why? I dunno.

Somewhere in there, we squeezed in The Comey Rule, a Showtime production that we were able to watch on Crave. They portrayed the characters well. It is only a two-parter that you might very like if you get the chance. It certainly doesn't do Rump any favours and makes me think better of Comey. They effectively began the series after he had made his Hillary email announcement, and I would have liked to learn more of the reason for doing what he did. What I did gather, however, was that he believed that he had an obligation to report and that he also thought that Americans would still be able to do the right thing. I think enough were swayed, however, to upset the election results. But that is just my opinion.



14 comments:

DJan said...

I don't have Showtime but I would like to watch that two parter. I'll see if I can find a way to watch it. I've heard from others that they enjoyed it too.

Margaret said...

After finishing "Dark"(a German time travel series), John and I are looking for more series to watch. We started "Schitt's Creek" but didn't enjoy the humor much. Perhaps it gets better? I like Scandinavian mysteries, so these would be great to watch, if I can get them.

Barbara Rogers said...

I have a long list on Netflix to look at, and sometimes will watch live TV. Most of my screentime seems to be listening to audio books and playing solitaire. I don't have a TV with good sound, so am missing the wonderful shows of PBS and BBC. Perhaps I can coach the old TV to do closed captioning though. You've given me an idea!

Christina said...

Is that Wisting as in William Wisting, the police detective? I loved reading the books. The author is Jørn Lier Horst if you are tempted. I liked this detective because he not dysfunctional as so many detectives in fiction are. Also, his police force seems to be fairly standard, too.

William Kendall said...

A new one to me. I have no problems with subtitles.

Kay said...

We’ve been watching Van der Valk on PBS which is rather interesting, set in Amsterdam. It’s just fun since we’ve been to Amsterdam twice. We really like watching Endeavor though.

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy most everything I watch which is Scandinavian. I have to be in the mood for the subtitles though. Wisting was one of my favourites.

Joanne Noragon said...

When you consider what the president did to the last election, consider his influence from the helm.

Rita said...

I watched Oldenheim 12 and thought it was pretty good. Wisting is in my watchlist and I was looking for something new to dive into on Acorn so I will probably watch that next. Couldn't find the Summerdahl Murders, though. Must not be available here.

I read Comey's book when it came out so it would be interesting to see the miniseries.

Right now I am watching the new season (five) of Shetland on BritBox. :)

Mage said...

If you get a chance to watch "The Great British Baking Show." We are loving it.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are good titles!
We tend to buy from Acorn, as we don't have the bandwidth for this.
We're watching Grantchester, now.
We just finished Damages (with Glenn Close).
We always have to watch with subtitles, as JB has hearing issues. This really has become normal for us. A hearing aid won't work for him.

Blondi Blathers said...

We've been watching the New Tricks series from the beginning (on Amazon Prime) and there's a lot of humour in it, so we've become addicted. It's not often there's something we both like, so that's nice too. -Kate

kayan said...

شركة تنظيف بجدة
شركة نظافة بجدة

zianab zyada said...

"برنامج erp
برنامج حسابات
برنامج ادارة الموارد البشرية
برنامج مخازن
برنامج محاسبة
برنامج حسابات ومخازن
أحد أفضل برامج المحاسبة حيث يساعد في إدارة حسابات الشركات التجارية والصناعية والفردية. حسابات ومخازن ،نقاط بيع ومطاعم ،تصنيع ،توزيع ،طلبيات ،أرشفة الأوراق المالية ،إدارة الأصول. خدمة عملاء متميزة. دعم فني مجاني لمدة عام.
برنامج حسابات
برنامج محاسبة "