Sunday, October 18, 2020

Wretched Coffee, Good TV, and the Hooded Sue

Ugh. The coffee is wretched this morning. I tried a new brand that was on sale but still wasn't cheap by any means. It is not good. Not even close. We just don't throw out $10 of coffee, but this will have to go. Yes! It is that bad.

This is my second, recent coffee mistake, for I have another bag sitting here unused. It was on sale too and is probably good, but I shan't know because they are beans, and we don't have a grinder. I will probably put it on our Buy Nothing group on FB.

I do this from time to time, reach for one product but get distracted and grab the package beside it. I knew that I was looking for ground coffee, but I brought home beans instead. Facepalm time.

==============

On the advice of our daughter in Vancouver, we watched Anne with an "E" on Netflix. We had watched season 1 some time ago, didn't prefer it, and weren't interested in watching the next two seasons when they became available.

Anne with an "E" is, of course, adapted from the well-known Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, published in 1908. It is a Canadian classic and well loved in many countries around the world. 

It was adapted for tv in the mid-80s and was also greatly loved.

But Anne with an "E" is different. While it is based on the same setting and characters, the plot takes takes an unfortunate twist for awhile, which is why we stopped watching.

However, when Allyson highly recommended it, we capitulated. For the first three episodes in season 2, we were also not happy. In fact, I think we would have quit once again if it had not been so highly recommended. 

Beginning with about the 4th episode in season 2, however, the program got good -- very good. While it still wasn't exactly faithful to the original plot, it was faithful to the spirit of the original if that makes any sense.

In the end, we loved it. I suspect that if they hadn't gone off track, toward the end of season 1 and the beginning of season 2, more people would have continued watching, and there would have been a season 4.

So, that is my recommendation. Watch Anne with an "E" , but if you know the original novels or the tv series, keep in mind that you may not particularly enjoy those 4 or 5 episodes that I mentioned above, toward the end of season 1 and the beginning of season 2. Or maybe, being forewarned, you will expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

==============

I recently posted that I tend to forget to take photos of Sue when I have landscape images on my mind. Recently, however, I did. We were down by the lake on a very windy day. Sue had her hood up to try to keep her hair in some semblance of order. Please notice that it is the We're #1 finger in the 2nd photo and not that dreaded other finger. 







12 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Lol. I noticed.

I love Anne with an E as well though some on the island did not. Originalists I guess.

Mara said...

Beautiful photos of Sue. And that cape is fantastic as well.
I saw the original series a long time ago and in my mind I see Colleen Dewhurst in my head whenever I read the book. As I haven't got access to Netflix now, the new series will remain unknown to me.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great recommendations. I have a small coffee grinder somewhere in the back of a cupboard...but usually purchase grounds. Lovely Sue photos. I watched most of the first season on Anne with an E...and will look for the following one. Thanks for recommendaton/critique.

Marcia said...

We're sticking to old classic movies on Turner classic. Last night it was James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff. Very funny.

Good photos of Sue. She looks good in purple.

Shammickite said...

I haven't watched any of the Anne films or TV shows, whether with an E or without it.

Jenn Jilks said...

Sue looks wonderful!
JB is a coffee snob. I'll just lay this here! he'd have fired it out the back deck by now.
We bought some DVDs of Damages. I think you might like it. It's not as graphic as some shows, but it is dark. There are plot twists, too. There are lots of great actors, too. Strong women. Real life issues and conflicts.

gigi-hawaii said...

That's a nice shade of purple. I love colors. As for the movie series, well, I did watch Anne of Green Gables years ago and enjoyed it. But, I don't recall the plot very well.

DJan said...

Nice pictures of Sue. I also am a coffee snob and will throw out bad coffee if necessary. Why drink something you really don't like? :-)

Margaret said...

Life is too short to drink bad coffee! I stick with my Equal Exchange Mind, Body and Soul. I am intrigued by that series, but concerned that I'm too much of a purist. I loved the Anne of Green Gables series.(and the series from the '80s) Those are beautiful photos of Sue; she should always wear that color!

Joanne Noragon said...

I did watch Anne with an E, to the end. I was sorry there was not a season 4; it was a very strong story at the end.

Kay said...

You have a lovely model in Sue.
We enjoyed Enola Holmes. If you have it on Netflix, I do recommend it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have all bought food items that turned out to a complete waste of $ unfortunately. For coffee, we stick to a few certain brands as we enjoy a morning cup of coffee and would not like to be disappointed at an early hour. I've never watched Anne with an E, but we are currently watching Schitts Creek on Netflix and enjoying its offbeat humor. we are also finishing Foyle's War, the complete series, on AcornTV streaming.You shared a couple of nice photos of Sue and didn't think the finger up was for any other reason than what you stated.