Friday, October 30, 2020

Halloween Scarecrows

I think this is a first and probably a response to COVID since many Halloween activities will be curtailed this year, but we have scarecrows along our main street. I walked up and down on the weekend and took a quick pic of most of them.

When someone else posted a slew on our FB photo group, I decided not to exactly follow suit and duplicate said post. What I did was fiddle and faddle in post to come up with something different on just a few of my pics.

Having said that, I didn't push Anne (of Green Gables) too far because, well, she's Anne and kind of a Canadian icon. While she doesn't look very scary to me, I didn't see any crows around, so good job, Anne.

This fellow was the most traditional looking scarecrow, or at least presented in the most traditional manner like he might actually be used in a garden. I decided to present him in mono and somewhat low key (ie dark).


This next fellow is dressed in the uniform of our town's minor hockey boys, such as JJ. His face is hideous enough, but I added some grain and texture. But he has all of his teeth, so I am not sure that he represents hockey very well. On the other hand, minor teams are well protected and tend to have full sets of pearly whites.

Aside: JJ is practicing hockey this fall, but due to circumstances there are no games. There are only controlled practices, and we aren't permitted to attend. In most years, I would probably have been photographing his games by now.


I really went to town on the spiderwebby bride. It doesn't look much like the original at all. I'll show both versions, and even the original has also probably been developed somewhat. The bride was located just off the sidewalk in a little alley. I hope that I caught the mood appropriately.

Processed 

Original

I have one more to show, but I need something to post on Halloween, so I will leave it until tomorrow.



11 comments:

DJan said...

I love your scarecrows, and I now must go in search of the ones in my own neighborhood! :-)

Ed said...

Every time I see a scarecrow, I think back to my youth and the movie Children of the Corn.

gigi-hawaii said...

You don't see scarecrows around here in Hawaii. Lol.

Margaret said...

I have a scarecrow towel in my bathroom but don't see many around as decorations. I think of them more for fall than for Halloween specifically. And it seems like people jump straight from Halloween to Christmas around here. So, it was a treat to see these artistic creations!

William Kendall said...

I like your takes on these scarecrows!

Marie Smith said...

Love the .Anne. She is indeed a Canadian icon. Hard to make her scary.

Red said...

I like the traditional scarecrow not all the fancy stuff.

Joanne Noragon said...

Anne of GG is my favorite.

Doris Potter said...

A fun post. I love the creativity of these scarecrow makers!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You know, I am really starting to wonder whether the pandemic will be over by Halloween next year. You may have scarecrows in the streets again.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As you know, I have been posting various sightings of scarecrows fir the past few weeks. It was enjoyable to see these new ones.