Friday, October 02, 2020

Autumn and Disappointment

In the past, we usually visited a cottage from late September to around Thanksgiving, which generally occurs around October 10, give or take. The cottage was on a large tract of forested land, and there was colour to be seen on the property. There was also an abundance of colour in the environs.

That door is now closed, but Sue and I were able to take a number of local excursions last year, which we enjoyed quite a lot. While I am not going to go back and dig up a bunch of those photos, this is one that I have readily at hand because I recently re-edited it.


I took this picture as we left Wheelers Maple Sugar Camp last year after a pancake brunch and a walk through the sugar bush. I would have liked to return for an earlier-in-the-day photo this year, but the pandemic renders many plans and wishes null and void.

There was a blank/bald sky, so I recently added a sky in post, just because I could. Therefore, the photo is somewhat current in a sense, and it fits with this post.

I have been bemoaning the early change in colour this year, accompanied by much poor weather. With much leaf fall already, the 14-day forecast is almost nothing but cloud and rain, so it doesn't appear that we will be doing much autumn rambling this year.

The one bright spot in the forecast is for Thanksgiving weekend itself, which will be next weekend, October 9 -12. I know that Americans find the date of our Thanksgiving a little jarring, but it does pretty well coincide with harvest time and fall fairs. It does make sense.

Only recently did I discover that what we now call fall or autumn, was once simply referred to as harvest. As time went on, fall/autumn gained ground with fall predominating in North America and autumn in Britain. I use both words, but I prefer autumn and use it more when blogging. I might say fall more in daily life, but I am not sure as this is a recent thought.

I took this photo on Monday after our trip to Tweed. I saw light on the trees as we crossed the bridge just a mile away from home. Once we unpacked the car, I returned for a photo; unfortunately, much of the light was gone. I mean the light looks good enough in the photo, but it has been special earlier.


This was taken from the bridge that I previously said that I would never return to for another photo due the the heavy traffic, but as you can see, I was drawn back. It was to a different part of the bridge and later in the day, so the traffic wasn't quite as overwhelming.

In fact, I wanted to return again but just a little earlier when the light would be perfect. I would then use use my longest reaching lens to close in on that tree to the left. That does not appear likely this year with cloud and rain dominating the extended forecast. 

I guess the current, disappointing weather fits perfectly with this pandemic year

14 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm so sorry that you all couldn't do your normal vacation in the beautiful woods. But I'm happy to see the photo after you added a better sky...you certainly have talent there! It looks great. And thanks for braving the traffic on the bridge to capture the last photo. Hope you enjoy your thanksgiving and don't got nuts while keeping dry from all that rain.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

You say that this year does not lend itself to good photogenic pictures but your last one here is lovely.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Despite this year changing so many plans, you have made the best of it and especially with the second photo, John. Despite all that has changed I am least thankful be able to get out for walks Even when there’s nothing special to see.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I love the way the brilliant leaves of those trees are lit up for you to photograph them. Sorry for disappointing weather and plans that will just have to be anticipated for next year.

Marie Smith said...

That last photo is exceptional, AC.

The pandemic has changed many things this last six months. I guess we are lucky to have survived thus far.

gigi-hawaii said...

I didn't realize that Thanksgiving is celebrated in October in Canada. Ours is in November, as you know. We don't say fall or autumn here in Hawaii, because it doesn't exist. Trees don't change color here.

Margaret said...

Disappointment seems to be the key word for 2020. However, those autumn colors are spectacular and rain can make for some beautiful photos when it's on leaves or windows. I know you'll find a way to create your photographic art!

Mage said...

I'm sorry that the door is closed to the cabin. The trees seem to be gloriously opening doors.

DJan said...

I would have been thrilled with either of those pictures, but I really do like the last one very much. Sorry to hear your weather will be deteriorating so much, but I have found that wet forest scenes can be lovely. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

It has been a tragic year on many counts. I think we've gotten through it pretty well, all things considered.
I know many have and continue to suffer.
I miss our day trips, as well. This is the first year in several dozen that we didn't have lunch on a patio!
The leaves were quick this year.
I was thinking about that bridge. Does it have a sidewalk, even? You be careful!!! Sue would kill you if anything happened to you! :-)

William Kendall said...

Beautiful fall colours.

Red said...

You've been hammered with very poor "fall" weather. We have had super fall weather all through September and also for the next 7 days.

dellgirl said...

The photos are beautiful, absolutely gorgeous! You certainly work some magic with your camera! Those vivid fall colors seem to pop right out of the picture and grab you.

Rita said...

Hopefully you can make the trip next year. Beautiful photos! :)