Friday, October 16, 2020

The Hidden Cemetery

We had arrived at the cemetery, and I left you with this photo in the previous post about our Sunday drive into the colourful, autumn hinterland.


That was the first gate. If you could enlarge the photo enough (which I doubt you can do at this resolution), you could see a second gate down (up?) yonder. Here it is. This sign is less worn than the one at the first gate: Tennant Cemetery,


There was a section to the right that was cleared and sunny, but I concentrated on the more picturesque part that you can see from the gate (above) with the background colour.



It seemed fitting or poignant, somehow, to see loose gravestones around the remains of the dead tree trunk in the background. 


This was my favourite photo, not only of the cemetery but of the whole drive. I  stitched 4 vertical photos together to show more of the scene. I think this captures the setting best with with leading lines of a sort converging on the well lit far corner.


It was a nice find, but Hermione the Honda was waiting patiently to take us home.


I suspect that might be it for autumn rambles, for the week's weather does not look good at all. As I sit writing this post on Tuesday morning, it is raining and dark outside, and the forecast for the rest of the week doesn't look exactly enticing.

Addendum: If you will excuse this slight bit of hubris, I would to append this picture of a photographer wandering about perplexedly, hat on backwards (which makes it easier to lift the camera). I don't do very well at taking what we might call b-roll photos of what surrounds a photoshoot because I my tiny brain gets locked into searching for those nice compositions. Sue is much better at documenting the peripheral goings-on. 







12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I love Sue's photo, as well as your stitched one...both are really clever. Thanks for explaining about leading lines being the ones from foreground to background...I think. I'll try to see what I did yesterday in our walk and post them looking at what leading lines are doing.

gigi-hawaii said...

That's a nice snapshot of you. Cemeteries remind me of Halloween...

Margaret said...

I love your landscape photos, but it's fun to document the people too. (which is why Sue's photo is so important)

DJan said...

Beautiful photos, all. I especially like your stitched one, and Sue's final shot. I enjoyed them all. :-)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

There is something so serene and calm around old cemeteries and nobody talks politics !! By the way, thanks for sending the video of Ricardo ... one of my favorites and I haven't thought of him for years !

William Kendall said...

Quite peaceful.

Kay said...

I also like Sue’s photo because it shows the master photographer thinking about the best angles. And that stitching of 4 photos is amazing. I’ve never tried to do that. I’ll have to ask my brother how.

Tabor said...

I must say you look very artistic with that hat. I would assume you were a professional! Fall is so beautiful, that like you, I tend to just go for the pretty and composition shots and not the before and during an after stuff.

Marcia said...

Was the cemetery name a family name or the town's name? It looks well cared for. A lovely setting too.
Raining here today.

Joanne Noragon said...

Fantastic autumn colors.

Rita said...

Now that is a true resting place. ;)

Red said...

Awesome colors. You don't get many interruptions when you are taking photos in a cemetery.