Monday, October 05, 2020

More Photo Nerd Talk

The previous post, The Camera Always Lies, was an observational post. The camera does lie, but so what? It doesn't matter.

Once you see the image, whether on the camera or computer screen, you either like or you don't. Whether you post-process or not, if you like it, you may choose to share it in some way, even if it is just to show the camera screen to the person who is with you.

Since I shoot in RAW, I do post-process, and when the image is before me on the screen, I am not usually all that mindful of how exactly the conditions were. Indeed, I was mindful for the previous post because there was such a huge difference between my eyesight and the camera's interpretation that I decided that I wanted to document the phenomenon. However, this is normally not the case. In most instances, I doubt that anyone totally remembers conditions anyway. I mean that's why we take pictures, or one of the reasons -- to have a memory.

When the image gets to the computer screen, the typical photographers wants to optimize it. Does it require cropping? Does it need more or less contrast? Is it too light or too dark to your editing eyes? What about saturation and sharpness?

When the camera processes the image, it makes all of these decisions for you. However,  when you shoot in RAW, you develop the photo according to taste. When I say, develop, I mainly mean that you nudge the image in directions that appeal to your taste as in the list in the preceding paragraph.

Of course, photographers attempt to get the image as right as possible in camera by keeping an eye on exposure, focal point and sharpness. Beyond that, however, you almost always need to optimize the image in post, even if it just adding sharpness (which the camera doesn't do much when you shoot in RAW). 

You usually don't think how it was exactly, even if you could trust both your eyes and your memory, but what looks right now on the screen.

In this first case, below, I cropped the image to move the fence closer to the bottom of the final image. While it might have been optimal to get the composition exactly right when taking the picture, you very often can't get to the best vantage point with the optimal lens. Now, the fence is in the immediate foreground without wasted space in front of it.

I do like how the rain shows up in the sky.

This photo of the boarded house on our main street seemed to call for a conversion to B&W. I also did some cropping at the bottom since there was more road than I wanted in the original image.


I do play sometimes. The original blank sky bothered me, so I composited another sky that I think fits well enough.


More play: I had a photo of the dam and building with a reflection. I didn't like the outcome, so I cropped the top half and then flipped the reflection to the top. It's much more interesting to me this way.


While I do play (aka photoshop) sometimes as in the previous two images, most post processing is pretty standard stuff. I really didn't do much to the next and final photo aside from adding a bit more contrast and I softening the foreground road up to where the leaves lay. The dirt road was quite rough (pebbly) which I found somewhat distracting. I think it still is a little bit, but that's reality for you.


Okay, I get it. I will get off this topic now. I think I make it sound more involved and complicated than it is. Basically, you look at your image and decide if it requires little adjustments here or there. This is different than what people call photoshopping, which tends to mean significant manipulation. While I did that in the replaced sky photo, that is not usual, whereas cropping or sharpening is pretty standard.

13 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to hear your process and thoughts. I think you're right about the sky addition...it looks very realistic. But the reflected image seems to have blurred edges, which takes me into a fantasy image...I think I want to see what the original was like, with maybe a bit of the hard edged world before a reflection, even if upside down. In my humble opinion.

Anvilcloud said...

If I wanted to do that I would have. :)

It is supposed to be a bit fantastical and not real.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I agree that some manipulation is necessary, John, and do more contrast manipulation and cropping than anything else. I use a couplemof free photo editing apps, as Photoshop was more involved and costly now than I need. That said, I enjoyed your explanations in this post and cropping definitely improves many photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is interesting work, or is it play?
I am always disappointed with sunsets here. Just never quite the same. I might try some of your tricks!

Barbara Rogers said...

Follow up - yes, you had seen the original before you decided that reflected buildings worked best for what you wanted to say. That makes sense.

Marie Smith said...

That last shot draws us in for sure. Gorgeous!

MARY G said...

I don't know many people who are thoughtful about editing and so am always pleased to read about your processes.

Margaret said...

I'm getting a bit better about cropping, although it doesn't come naturally to me. I find these posts fascinating because I've never known what photographers do to make their pictures so breathtaking. I see many photos of Mt. Rainier where they've made it look gigantic when it really isn't. (from that particular vantage point anyway) Are they using a special lens or something?

DJan said...

These are beautiful photos, and for me I really don't care how much you manipulate them when they come out good like these. But if I were a professional, I'd be glad to learn all this.

Vicki Lane said...

Ooh, talk nerdy to me! I love hearing about process. I probably crop at least 505% of my pictures and fiddle with dar/light in many. Since most of my photos are grabbed on the fly, I have to make the most of what I've got.

Joanne Noragon said...

I used to mess with photos. Now all my editing programs are gone, or make me unhappy. I like what you do with most photos.

Rita said...

I may not understand what you are talking about (I'm a point and shoot cell phone lady) but I do love your photography. :)

Kay said...

My photo techie brother used to always talk to me about taking photos in the RAW, but he soon realized that my eyes would glaze over. My brain just isn’t equipped to handle all that information. I can see why your photos are always so gorgeous though.