Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Chaffey's Lock

Now that I have done my maudlin TG post, let us get back on track.

This post will be about our visit to Chaffey's Lock after the stopover at Lock 31, back on Friday, before the long weekend.

Chaffey's is Lock 37, a little more than a half hour from Lock 31 and about 80km or an hour from home. We have driven there a few times in the past, but it has been a few years since our last excursion.

This was the last weekend for the canal to be open, but small craft were still going through the lock. Sue waved; they waved back, and I took a picture. You can see the two gals waving as they hold onto the rope at the side of the lock to keep the boat steady while the lock begins to fill up with water and lift the craft.

We hadn't gone on this part of the lock on previous visits, staying on the other side of the lock (off to the right), but this photo shows some of the setting. The lock is on the right and a channel for extra spillage on the left. I don't know the history of the building, but the water flows under a portion, so I assume that there is or once was a waterwheel in there.


Possibly, you can see the setup -- the space under the building -- better in this next photo.


In both of the above photos, if you strain your eyes, you can spot a heron. It remained in place for a long time.


This cottage was near the lock. I took 5 photos from bottom to top to get all of the canopy in the frame. I used Lightroom to blend them into one photo -- a vertorama (or vertical panorama).


Opinicon road continues past the lock.


We drove along for about 5 minutes or so. I stopped to take a photo before turning around and heading back towards home.


All in all, it was a very pleasant pre-Thanksgiving drive.


12 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The colours are phenomenal. The lock is fascinating.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for the beauty...it brightens up my day to see the fall colors you captured! The lock looks interesting...as well as the heron. But that building that stands out over the rushing water is definitely something to catch the wonderment...I hope the corner we see has a nice strong pillar holding it up.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very interesting Lock. Never saw one in my life. As for Dale, I hope he has a peaceful passing. It's sad that his lungs are being rejected. Tragic.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's a lovely spot. we've been many times.

DJan said...

Such a beautiful spot! I found the heron by myself. :-)

Marcia said...

Good weather, a nice drive, what else can you hope for for a perfect day.

Margaret said...

My parents used to take us up to the locks in Ballard. (Seattle) I was fascinated by how they worked. Your fall colors are spectacular. I'm wondering if we're going to get any this year. The weather has been bizarre.

Mage said...

Any picture of the lock details? Beautiful color.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful fall colours. It is that time of year for the water levels to start lowering.

Joanne Noragon said...

Locks are so fascinating. We have ruins of Erie Canal locks to look at.

Joyce F said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures! Here in SE Kansas USA we don't have many trees that colorful.

Rita said...

Beautiful drive. Locks are fascinating.
Love the heron. :)