Sunday, October 25, 2020

Amaziony

Amazon is pretty amazing, really. I had to make a return. They sent me a label via email, which I printed and asked Sue to package it because I am clueless about such things and she isn't. We are a team; when she needs to order something, she asks me to do it because I am better at that sort of thing.

Once she had packaged it, I took it to the UPS depot. Amazon emailed that they would refund the amount once they had received the package. Believe it or not, I received notice of the refund that same evening.

++++++++++++++++

Speaking of Amazon, I get notices for Kindle books on FB: for the self-published kinds of works. Recently, I purchased their suggested, Aspire to Die, a Bridget Hart novel by MS Morris. Hart is a female detective in Oxford, Morse's and Lewis's old stomping grounds.

The cost was $2.99, so I purchased it and liked it well enough to order the next volumes all of the way up pre-ordering volume 5.

Consider this as a PSA for fellow mystery readers. We easily run out of titles from the well-known, published authors, so finding another passable mystery is a good thing. At $2.99, it is not much of an investment for anyone to give it a try.

++++++++++++++++

Speaking of published authors, we have the latest Louise Penny and Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) books on Audible, but right now, I am more interested in reading and not listening. I do find listening a pleasant alternative at times, but I am saving those books for later, maybe in the bleak midwinter. 

Meanwhile, after reading the MS Morris volumes that I mentioned above, I came to realize that I had somehow missed Ann Cleeves' latest Vera tome: The Darkest Evening. It came out earlier this year, and I somehow missed it. Vera is like an old friend,espcially after watching the tv series. I read it in pretty quick time and enjoyed it thoroughly.

++++++++++++++++

I mentioned above that if Sue wants to order something online, she gets me to do it, partly because I have all of the required information close to hand. She found Merrell hiking boots online and decided she wanted them. She uses such boots as her winter footwear, and her current pair of Merrell boots is very old, but she has been very very happy with them.

So, we made the order, and they came the next day. Yay!

Not yay! Her normal size was too tight, so we were forced to return them as well. 

Meanwhile, she subsequently found from Merrell a pair of shoes/slippers. She has also has a similar pair of these that are wearing down, but when these arrived, they were too large. Same size -- the boots were too small, and the house shoes too large. Go figure.

Merrell also handled the returns without cost by having us print a label and taking it to the UPS depot. This pleased me because I still have negative feelings towards another shoe company which once charged me $10 for shipping. Then I had to pay another $10 on the return. Perhaps the are more competitive now.

13 comments:

Marty said...

Thanks for the reading suggestions. I added the Rowling pen name to the list of authors on my phone. I keep the list for when I’m in the library (back when it was open) or when I’m going through their on line catalogue (for drive-by pickup) and can’t come up with who to read next.

Jenn Jilks said...

Did you see that Marketplace show on Amazon returns? It showed that much of it ends up in the dump. It was terrible. We try to avoid it, if we can.

We ordered Penny's last book in July, and Amazon rescinded the order, saying it was unavailable. I contacted Penny's people, and I think the publisher will send us one. What a time.

Barbara Rogers said...

I have one book to pick up at my local Independent Book Store. It's by a fellow blogger, Vicki Lane, who lives within driving distance up on a mountain. I of course respect her privacy, and am glad we are virtual blog-friends. Yes A-zon does have a bit of everything. Funny about the shoes by a reputable outfit...I like talking to someone at the store (even virtual ones) to see if they know if something runs large or small.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I didn't realize that you were such an avid reader AC. I prefer historical fiction but that's just me. All the best to you and yours.

Margaret said...

I am also an avid mystery reader and have similar tastes to you. I've seen too much of the Vera series which is based closely on the books. So, I've read a few that don't sound familiar, including the new one. I've also read the whole Shetland series. Loved them all! The Galbraith is on my Kindle but is over 900 pages long so I'm not very motivated to start. My next read(after I finish the Elly Griffiths series) is the latest Penny. Although I love Paris, I'll miss Three Pines! Amazon makes everything SO easy. You should see how big their warehouses are. Incredible.

Vicki Lane said...

I've always been very happy with Amazon's service and returns policy. For such a huge company, they do a fine job.

DJan said...

If I order something online that has a size, I read all the reviews to see what other people think about whether it runs true to size. It really has helped me in the past. If I can, I try on shoes in a store before buying them online. Also, I am enjoying several cheap Kindle books but occasionally buy a bestseller at the going rate. It sure is nice to receive a book immediately when I order it for my Kindle! :-)

Blondi Blathers said...

We love the Vera series on TV. I have an older car with a cassette player, and that's where I like to listen to books. I can't bear them if I'm lying down that's when I find them too slow. I guess I read faster than someone can speak. I still haven't made friends with a Kindle, though did try a friend's once when we shared a hotel room. Still prefer paper. Please do keep sharing your opinions of books; always interesting. -Kate

gigi-hawaii said...

Oh, we have Amazon Prime. We don't buy books but we do buy clothing and household goods.

MARY G said...

Amazon books and goods save my sanity some days. And the return packaging is easy, really. In our house, I get both jobs.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have a book club book to struggle through before next Thursday, but see light at the end of the tunnel.
Laughing at the cat post. We tried to lock the YD's cat out of the spare bedroom and she snuck in through the ceiling (basement room). Since the door was shut and we were upstairs, she spent a lot of time there before we 'rescued' her. Did she learn her lesson? Nah.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Always enjoy getting reading suggestions from fellow bloggers, so thanks for these. I read e-books downloaded from the library website and haven't yet ordered any online. Amazon can be quite efficient some times, and other times not so. Ordering shoes online without a try-out can be difficult and hope Sue finds a pair to her liking.

PipeTobacco said...

I will have to look at the detective novel you mention.

PipeTobacco

Patio Postcards said...

I always appreciate book recommendations. I have been enjoying your wanderings through the beautiful colourful Autumn - your photos are amazing.