Wednesday, May 01, 2024

MRI and Feet

For a fairly long time now, I have been declaring that if I had to make a choice between having an MRI or facing death, I would probably be forced to choose that latter option. I am not exactly kidding because the thought of being encased in a narrow cylinder bothers me that much. I am not sure that I could cope, mentally.

However, it was Sue who actually had to make that choice, and despite incredible anxiety, she committed her body and mind into this device yesterday,

There is a lump on her chest, and it had been measured to be growing, so into the wee chamber went she. We didn't time it very well, but she might have been in the contraption for up to 45 minutes — lying on her stomach with her face scrunched into a pillow.

When she registered in the radiology department, she was given the option of signing up for the app that would send her the results. By that evening, yesterday, she had them. She's just fine, thank you very much. At this point in time, the lump is no more than fatty tissue. The mass was deemed unremarkable, and the lymph nodes are, apparently, unaffected. Yay team!

Getting test results back so promptly is quite something.

Of course, she couldn't neglect her potd, where your feet are, so she took feet photos as she went.


1. Wearing sandals because back spasms make her want to avoid bending to tie shoes.
2 & 4. Sue's feet with mri technicians,
3. Gowned
5. Where her feet will soon go.
6. Back home in the driveway with my feet and Sha's.

Speaking of Shauna, we are so appreciative that she drove us, because at least part of the trip was through the rush hour, highway crawl as we got into the city. Then, once we were in the vicinity of the hospital, she was familiar enough to get us directly to the door in that big complex.

She dropped us at the door and drove elsewhere to spend the next hour or two thus avoiding the hassle of finding expensive parking within the congested jumble of buildings.

We trundled back through miles of hospital corridors, passing various coffee shops. The main floor actually resembled a mall. Our town hospital is tiny and hardly a hospital at all. The one we are usually sent too on the western edge of Ottawa is quite large, or at least I thought that it was. However, this almost-inner-city hospital was on another scale, with several coffee shops and a few other shops.

Once milady was done, or once they were done with her, we followed the purple dots back to the elevator and then the red dots to the main floor and door. TG for the dots.

We alerted Shauna that we were done and walking the long main hall back to the door. She soon texted that she was waiting near the door with lights a'flashin. And she had a smile cookie for Sue. The flowers in the photo  ↓ were seen in one of the mall-like hospital shops, and the coffee was obtained from a drive-though before we got home.

Shauna dropped us off and set out in the opposite direction for her half-hour drive to work. After a wee lunch, Sue went to bed for a few hours. I am here to tell you that her long nap did not spoil her nighttime sleep. Meanwhile, I managed almost 5.5 hours within a somewhat restless and uncomfortable night with my darn rotator cuff giving me more grief than absolutely necessary. 


26 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

So very glad Sue is ok ... any thoughts to removing the fatty tissue? Indeed a smile cookie at the end of was well deserved.

PipeTobacco said...

I am happy for both of you about the good news! Is she considering having it removed?

PipeTobacco

Boud said...

Please thank Shauna for us all for being such a great help. It was a big enough ordeal without needing to drive and park. I'm very glad there's no problem after all. Sue deserves all kinds of a nice day after that.

Marcia said...

Good news about the lump. Kay in Hawaii wrote about the same thing recently, too.

Have you had a cortisone shot in your shoulder? Dan went that route and he is well recovered.

Granny Sue said...

Wow, I am glad to hear she is ok. That MRI machine is no fun. I have been in one twice and managed to fall asleep in there both times. That hospital sounds kinda scary. Your daughter sure earned her gold star!

Sandra said...

Very good news! The clicking and whirring in the MRI is difficult for me. It's not a pleasant place to be.

DrumMajor said...

Glad all is okay. You made the tech's day by requesting a photo of their feet! Nice medical transport service you've hired. Linda in Kansas

Barbara Rogers said...

Such a relief you all must feel, after all the heightened worry and anxiety...whether to deal with cancer, or just the machine! And then the added strangeness of the hospital. Whew, I am so very glad for you all that the results were so good. Good job Dana did with transport and cookie, while you, AC, dealt with coffee help as well as the hallway maze. Love that Sue still did her photos in spite of everything else in her mind/emotions. What a lady!

Debby said...

I am so glad for Sue's test results. The fact that you were able to get them back so very quickly WAS good news. The waiting is a very anxious time. Been there, done that.

I didnt' realize that Sue was struggling too. Her back. Your shoulder. You both have had a difficult couple of years here, healthwise. Hope things get better.

Marie Smith said...

So glad to hear of these results! Yay!

Margaret said...

Yay for fast and good results! I've never had an MRI and hope to never experience one!

Ed said...

Although the thought of one of those terrifies me, I'm sure I would choose it over death if push came to shove. I would probably ask if I could take a muscle relaxant ahead of time or perhaps a stiff shot of bourbon.

gigi-hawaii said...

I have had a lot of MRI - on my brain, shoulder, and abdomen. Good that Sue had good news.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh my goodness Sue! Such gorgeous toesies! Love the dark wine color polish -- mine are painted thusly, year-round. Super cute shoes too. And SO happy that all is well. Your daughter is a true gem. xoxo

RedPat said...

So glad to hear the good news. I think I agree with you about the MRI experience - not one that I would handle well.

Christina said...

That's very good news! Scans are always scary. I had one for my anatomically abnormal kidneys. It was very loud. Shauna is a gem, she really is.

MARY G said...

Glad to hear that Sude has good news and quickly. I have spent far too much time around that place lately, so I sniggered over your description.
FYI The Smiths Falls section of our local hospital has a brand new MRI. Get your doc to send you there next time. And you will be offered a tranquillizer if you have any signs of claustrophobia. Byt, yeah, it is loud.

Red said...

Always great relief when you get positive medical news.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad things are all right. Isn't "unremarkable" a wonderful word to hear?! Who have thought!

I bet they loved her, too -- and her camera. The techs sound like very good sports!

DJan said...

I too am very glad to hear the good news, and I think I might be able to endure one of those things now that I've seen it up close like that.

Joanne Noragon said...

I had the last MRI before 2020. Whenever a doctor mentions one now I respond "No was in hell. Deal with it."

Vicki Lane said...

So glad all went well!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad that the radiology report didn't reveal any bad news, thanks for sharing the update. Thankful that I have never had the experience of an MRI. Kudos to Shauna for the delivery and pickup service, which was one less concern for you both.

DB Stewart said...

Happy to hear this news and for a smile cookie (or two).

Jenn Jilks said...

I have lots of that fatty tissue. Glad all is well with Sue.

Joe's had so many scans (that happens when you have cancer!), and he is fine with them, happily. I never thought of getting him a cookie, though. He shouldn't have them, though. sigh.

Kay said...

Yay! That is such a relief!
My friend's elderly mom had to do the MRI and is very claustrophobic so they allowed my friend to stay at her head and talk to her the entire time to keep her calm.