Sunday, May 12, 2024

Mothers I Have Known

We get old-fashioned snail mail in which people are asking for our money. We also have mail from the people who demand our money for goods received or for services rendered.

Either way, I am more than likely to save the back of the envelopes and to use them for my shopping lists. 


Sue has told me that this making-of-lists on the backs of envelopes is what my mother did. That memory of her doing this had never really soaked into my brain, but now that I've had a think, it does seem vaguely familiar. I only began to do this a few years ago. It's a small thing, for I have always recycled, but I now add reusing to the recycling.

Therefore, although I don't think that I learned to write lists on envelopes from her, we do seem to share the same sort of practical parsimony in our DNA. :)

I am not sure what other traits that I inherited from mom, for I seem to be more like my dad. However, she certainly did numbers better than Dad, for I remember being impressed by how well she did her budgetting sums, even when she well into her eighties. I think she even did them more efficiently than I, and I am not too shabby at that sort of thing.

So that is a bit of a nod to my mother who has been gone for 21 years already.

On this day, I also acknowledge the mother of my children who is, of course, the grandmother to Sha's kids. I made this little card for her. I have changed my tactic and just created a one-sided card. I think I might permanently move on from the folded, inside and outside cards that I have been creating for years. Besides, I can print this on good photo paper rather than card stock.


Once upon a time, and only once if I recall correctly, we went out for Mother's Day breakfast. We vowed never to do that again. However, a few days ago on a fabulous spring day, we took a shawarma to a spot by the river behind town hall. Both the day and food were delicious, and that little outing will have to suffice for now.


Meanwhile, Sha and the kids are off for a week at a Mexican resort, but Danica dropped by on Friday with a little gift for Grandma: s necklace and a prepaid coffee card. 


Yesterday, Sha and JJ stopped with two gorgeous, potted guinea impatiens for the garden.






19 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

That is not a prepaid coffee card, that is a prepaid donut card!

Boud said...

Happy mother's day to sue and sha!

Marie Smith said...

Happy Mother’s Day, Sue! Love the celebratory photo!

Yael said...

Happy Mother's Day to you all. Strange, but I also make a shopping list on envelopes, not long ago I read that someone was surprised that people still come with paper shopping lists, I took a picture of such a list , as always, I wrote a post about it in my head and forgot to publish it.

RedPat said...

I write lists on the backs of old flyers and ads. It must save some paper from being wasted.

Debby said...

I got two prepaid Tim Horton gift cards. Unfortunately, I am not one to get up and head out before my coffee. (Probably for the same reasons that you and Sue have determined never to go out for Mother's day breakfast.)So they've been languishing since Christmas. Tim has discovered the donuts. So my gift cards have become HIS gift cards, which is fine by me!

Anyways, Happy Mother's Day Sue, and oh, how I love JJ's sweatshirt.

MARY G said...

Salutation to a fine mother, grandmother and icon for dressing well.

Celia said...

Lovely Mother's Day post. Enjoy your Mom's Day Sue.

Sandra said...

My husband also uses the back of envelopes. Happy Mother's Day to lovely Sue.

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Mother's Day to Sue and Sha.

Red said...

The Micro Manager cuts up paper that is not printed both sides to make her list. I got being a clutterer from my Mom.

Barbara Rogers said...

Since my hand tremors I seldom write anything, but love that the phone makes lists that I dictate verbally. Happiest mother's day to Sue and Sha! Sue definitely is always posed beautifully in her stunning outfits! (Was she a model before kids?)

Margaret said...

I thought I was the only one who used the backs of envelopes for my lists. I'm not! I still do the card stock for cards; my new printer does a nice job with them. With printer ink and paper, I'm not sure if it saves me any money, but at least I can customize the cards. How thoughtful to get those gifts!

Vicki Lane said...

I like your idea of a Mother's Day lunch!

roentare said...

Despite all the technology, I still like to make a written list on paper for things to do on any given day

Barwitzki said...

Wonderful photos... and I also like this one from Sue with the rainbows,
the mothers... our mothers... we always remain connected to them.
Thank you.
Hug to you

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Recycling envelopes to use for shopping lists is a great re-use, thankfully we do nit get enough junk mail to follow suit. It was interesting to read that your mom did the same. Looks like Sue had a wonderful day with special treats, belated good wishes to her.

Granny Sue said...

What is a shawarma?? New word to this non-Canadian! Looks like Sue had a nice day, and your card is a nice tribute.

Jenn Jilks said...

And a fine day it was!