Saturday, May 04, 2024

Caturday 60: Trauma and Humiliation

My mind was a thousand miles away as I sat at the computer when I was jarred to hear a noise off to the right. Lacey was in the garbage can — the black one beside her cat tree that we refer to as her podium. She had knocked it over with the opening toward the wall, and she was pretty well upside down.


She had attempted to go from the desk (by the green basket) to the podium. It's not far. She can put her front feet on the podium while her back legs are still on the desk. It isn't even a jump.

But old bodies don't work like young ones, even in cats, and down she went into the garbage can from which she couldn't seem to extricate herself.  The fact that she was pretty well upside down only served to exacerbate her difficulty.

Of course, I was quick to rescue her, but I am sure that her sense of dignity lay in tatters.

It is the way that it is going for her. She recently couldn't lift herself onto my chair, even with the footrest out. After that failure, she hasn't tried again. I hope she doesn't also give up on her podium.


In the bedroom, we've made it easier for her to get onto the bed by placing a chair by the foot of the bed. If she wishes, she can then get onto the bureau by the window from there. I often leave a treat up there for her, trying to keep her keeping on as it were.


The cat and I are pretty well in the same boat. I should really have Sue take a picture of the two of us hobbling down the stairs for our breakfasts, partners in our disabilities.


17 comments:

roentare said...

You remind me the Caturday which I could not participate because I don't own a cat. I am agitating to get a cat for company for some time

DJan said...

It's hard to get old and not be able to do what you've always done before. I do hope she is able to get onto her podium successfully, still. Sigh.

Margaret said...

Poor kitty! :( Mari can still jump but her time is probably limited. She loves to go from the floor into the kitchen sink to get a drink from the faucet. That's a long way so I anticipate she'll eventually give that up.

Joanne Noragon said...

My Kitty can still handle sofa, chairs, but the desk is too high. I keep the desk chair out and backwards, to keep her from stepping over. Ha! And how we sympathize with you and your kitty.

Boud said...

Cats matching their owners. Though I expect it's a long time since you jumped from one piece of furniture across to another.

Kay said...

Poor Lacey...
I can commiserate since I'm sort of in the same boat with my bum knee.
We do lose some of our dignity with our age. Sigh...

peppylady (Dora) said...

I bet the chair is for the cat. Well cared for and loved.

jabblog said...

I'm just visiting from Debby's blog and being a nosey sort, I stopped to read back through a few posts.

I don't relish the thought of an MRI. I don't think it would be quite so bad if you could go in feet first. I know that's illogical.

Your tulip photographs are gorgeous - like paintings.

Poor Lacey - I hope she can carry on climbing and enjoying feline pursuits. I noticed one of our eleven-year-old boys mistiming a leap the other day. He's been fine since, clambering to the top of the new garden arch.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Poor Lacey. After an incident like that, I would probably just lay on the bed too!

Vicki Lane said...

How embarrassing for Lacey!

Sandra said...

I know cats do get embarrassed. Then indignant. Gatto is young but very clumsy. I cannot imagine what he will be like as an old cat. You are doing what you can to help Lacey. She looks quite content on the bed.

Marie Smith said...

Poor Lacey. We can commiserate for sure.

MARY G said...

I have a great deal of fellow feeling for her. Meanwhile my grandkid's cat is newly home from the university one floor apartment and has the run of my daughter's three storey house. With open stairs and a partial second floor with railing, open to the first floor below. Tato is walking on the railing. My daughter says it is nervewracking.

PipeTobacco said...

Perhaps if you can spare the room, another chair (like for the bed) could be placed by the cat condo (we always call the carpeted platforms our cats have used that) even though it may necessitate moving the two bins to fit it in?

When beloved pets age, it is hard. But, their love and their fun are worth the eventual sadness.

PipeTobacco

Debby said...

Boud made me laugh. The idea of you jumping from one piece of furniture to another was quite entertaining.

But...don't do it.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Awwwww sweet Lacey took an undignified tumble. I have been there. xoxo

NGS said...

It is so hard with aging pets. If she's losing strength in her legs, it might be up to you to make sure she doesn't hurt herself by removing potential injury scenarios (removing the cat tree, making sure she doesn't have to jump to eat or drink). We currently have the cat's water on top of our washer, but we're keeping an eye on if she has trouble getting up there and we'll probably have to move it closer to the ground. Poor baby. Getting old is not for the fainthearted.