Thursday, May 09, 2024

Guitars Reimagined

Back on April 19, I posted Coffee and Guitars with this ↓ image as the lead photo.


Blogging, for me, is largely about keeping up with what is going on in this life of mine, so I try to develop a daily photo to a presentable level and then post it, probably on the next day. So, I don't always take the time to consider it deeply. In this case ↑ it took me a little nudging to get it to this point, and I was happy enough with it at the time.

However, in the fullness of time, when I came across the image again, I wasn't all that happy with it. For one thing the lines are a little wonky. Look at the dark line of bricks around top part of the guitars, and you'll see that it isn't level. I also felt that the photo was a little dull and needed a little more contrast and saturation. I also said in that post that if I were return to the cafe, I'd like to ask the owners if I could, temporarily, remove the plant. Mary commented that perhaps I could do this in Photoshop. Well, duh! Why didn't I think of that? I do have and use Photoshop after all.

So, I set about to do all of those things, and this is the result, which I think is a stronger image. 


It's a little less true to the reality that I saw with my eyes, especially the bright orange of the third guitar, but the farther you get away from what you actually saw, I think the more you just care about the image itself. By the way, when I write 'you' of course I really mean I.

And as I did before in the original post, I created a mono version, which, as you know, I often do.



Happy with both new iterations, I posted them to my FB group. But then new thoughts arose from the murkiness of my gray matter.

I realized that three elements represent a better compositional number than four. There's just something about an odd number in an image. Since I was never pleased with the left guitar, which was greatly affected by the strong window light, I decided that it should become the casualty. It is also a very different type of guitar  (a dobro) than the others.

As I was considering that, I decided that the piano bugged me too. It's only partly present, and it is so close to the guitars that I think it threw the balance of the photo off.

So this ↓ is what I did. It's a simple image with just the three guitars, the wall, and no distractions. It isn't perfect, but I think it's good enough that I might even consider printing it.



Whether I print it or not, as far as processing goes, I think I can let it rest now.

Unless I go back to the cafe and try again from scratch.

12 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, AC, for sharing this process with us, and by that I mean me (smile). The plant, piano, and leftmost guitar were all better eliminated in my opinion as well. The final image is better off without them. It will be interesting to see what other bloggers comment as well.

Barbara Rogers said...

I agree completely, well almost. I kind of liked the b&w image. The bright orange guitar was better with more wood tones, but then that's just my amateur opinion. I'm having much difficulty with my phone pics these days (flowers mainly) that don't have the same joy when posted here on my laptop. Not sure where the problem might be.

DJan said...

It's amazing how reality can be adjusted so easily. I think I like the one with the bright orange guitar the best, not sure exactly why.

Marie Smith said...

I like how you eliminated the mantle in the last shot but the wall expanded! Love the last one!

Jenn Jilks said...

You do have a good eye!

Margaret said...

Fascinating process! I like the four guitar that you brightened. The plant did distract from the photo so it's good that you killed it off. :)

Sandra said...

Each one, as I scrolled down had think, oh I like that. And so it went. I guess I have trouble choosing, I'll say I like them all in varying degrees!

RedPat said...

I still reallylike the original but the last one is my favourite.
I am in an old commercial building and have brick walls which are the exact match to that wall.

Red said...

thanks for leading me to see something different. Taking the piano out made a huge difference as far as I'm concerned. Quite surprising how it looks with the piano gone.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Well, as a guitar player, my eye goes straight to the guitars and details. Looks like three Epiphones and a Gretch. And each guitar contributes a very different sound: You have a resonator, a solid body electric, an acoustic, and a hollow-body electric. Beautiful!! Whoever picked out this display knows their guitars! It's a shame to remove the resonator guitar with all it's wonderful character from the photo.

roentare said...

The guitar shots are such a good idea. I love both colour and B+W version

Jeanie said...

I like all your "improvements." The guitars are great andyou're right about the shadows and contrast. It's a beautiful shot -- all of them.