Sunday, May 19, 2024

Anniversary Lunch

Generations Inn was the venue of choice for our anniversary lunch. It's an repurposed building, possibly an old farmhouse, in a nice setting by the river.


The lilacs were out; I took this picture before lunch. I like how the trees provide a frame for the  lilac bush.

I like the photo but wish that I had lowered the camera just a tad to get a little more separating
between the branch and the bush. This is what happens with quick walk-by photography.
I don't take the time to notice the little details.

Later, as we were leaving, I snapped this one of the dead tree fringed by the lilac bush n the background.


Inside. we dined in the screened verandah, except they had glass over the screens because it's still early in the season. My hot wife was not amused, but it was overcast out, and I was pretty comfortable once I got settled: except for my awful chair, that is. (Sue's pic of me turned out better than mine of her.)


The server (remember when they were called waitresses or waiters?) obliged us with this photo.


After lunch we wandered down to the river, but as you can see, it was not a glorious day: overcast, much like our wedding day 55 years past. 


I think this is one of our better selfies.


Anniversary fudge being another tradition, we didn't have dessert at the restaurant but stopped for the fudge goody on the way home. Last night, the day after all of the above, we relented and ordered the usual anniversary pizza too, and it was very good.

And that's a wrap for anniversary 55. Aren't you glad that it's over?

BTW: some of you have been wondering about our long weekend when the American one is next week. It's a different holiday here: Victoria Day (in celebration of Queen Victoria's birthday, May 24 1819), and not Memorial Day. It occurs on the last Monday before May 25, For these reasons, we often refer to as May 24th holiday, even though Monday very seldom lands on the 24th.



17 comments:

Boud said...

Happy day. You still look pleased with your choice of partner, so you're doing a lot of things right.

Granny Sue said...

Beautiful place to dine. I seek out places like this. You two look so contented!
I did not know about Victoria Day!

Barwitzki said...

Happy 55th wedding anniversary... 55 You both are amazing - all the best wishes to you.
Thank you for the beautiful photos of your great trip.
A hug from me.

Sandra said...

Happy 55! I agree, you both look like contented people, you are doing something right.

Margaret said...

Thank you for clarifying that! What a lovely setting, in spite of the overcast skies. You two are a beautiful couple.

RedPat said...

That is a fine selfie of you both!

roentare said...

Such a beautiful place and great shot of you together

Jenn Jilks said...

Well my congratulations! What a milestone. Well done you!
I've not heard of this place.
What a sweet couple.

Barbara Rogers said...

You are both to be congratulated! I got to see Sue's eyes inside the restaurant! Yay, small pleasures.

Marie Smith said...

The May 2-4 weekend in Newfoundland.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Such a lovely couple.

Joanne Noragon said...

A very good celebration of a great anniversary.

Red said...

It's great that you do some special things to mark your anniversary.

Patio Postcards said...

Lovely photos of you & Sue. Congratulations on your anniversary. Our Victoria Day weekend is early this year ... & thank you for referring to it as Victoria Day, I dislike it referred to as Two Four weekend .... grrr.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated anniversary 🥂 wishes to you both and the selfie was a good one too. We're celebrating the anniversary of our first date, 27 years ago this week. Also, we're observing Victoria Day in Canada, now in Saint John, New Brunswick and later today in Prince Edward Island.

Jeanie said...

I love reading aboutyour anniversary -- and you're right about the selfie. It's terrific. The restaurant looks lovely and your fudge tradition is so sweet (no pun intended!)

MARY G said...

The lawn shot is a good one, even so, and I do not think Sue could have a bad photo, regardless. Elegant!
Fudge? Sigh.