Friday, May 17, 2024

55

Today is the wedding anniversary that it says on the mug and in the title. It was the May long weekend then, just as it is this year, except the 17th was on a Saturday in 1969.

She was sitting in the sunlight cast by the big window opposite her.

I don't usually think about my photography and blogging in advance, but I pretty well planned this anniversary photo and card back in March. That was when we drove down to Prospect and had breakfast in the Recess Cafe. You might recall that I posted about the excursion here at the time, and you saw the basic photo then.

The words, You are my sunshine, are from a neon sign that hung in the cafe, and I had the thought, back then, of compositing the sign onto a photo of Sue (also taken that day) for this anniversary card.

Those words fit Sue pretty well. They always have and always will.

Today, we'll have a low key lunch at a restaurant in town, or actually just outside of town. That is  doing it up big for us compared to our usual treat of pizza, which of course hearkens back to our wedding night in Stratford. Doesn't everybody order pizza on that night? We won't, however, purchase gifts. It's garden time, so we will consider whatever plants, that we buy next week, to be our gifts to each other.


19 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Congratulations you all! You're half the bargain and didn't put your photo on the card or blog! But definitely Sue is the sunshine! (Just wish we could see her eyes someday.) I think you must be the bee for the flower, in your lives. Just my humble opinion from reading many years of your blogs!

DJan said...

Happy anniversary to the two of you! What a wonderful picture you captured.

Boud said...

Happy annie, both! Have a lovely time.

Patio Postcards said...

Happy Anniversary. Yes to pizza - IMO, it is the perfect dinner any time.

Sandra said...

Happy 55 years together to you both!

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Anniversary! Aloha from Hawaii.

Dianne said...

Happy Anniversary from Washington state!

Marcia said...

Happy anniversary! Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate to me.

Ed said...

Congratulations on 55 years! I myself just made it to the 20 year mark two days ago. Since I married so late in light, I'm not very optimistic that I can make it to 55 but we'll see.

Granny Sue said...

A beautiful tribute! Happy 55th!

Cloudia said...

Wishing you both many happy returns of the day! You are a lucky couple. God bless you Aloha

RedPat said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. Plants are a good idea for gifts.

Margaret said...

Happy 55! She does seem like a sunshiny sort although I've never met her in real life. Is this a long weekend? I thought that was next weekend for Memorial Day. Perhaps there's a Canadian holiday I'm not aware of.

Rosalea said...

Lovely picture and beautifully expressed sentiment...congratulations to you both. Enjoy your pizza!

The Furry Gnome said...

Oh you've got a few years on us - not many though!

DB Stewart said...

Happy anniversary you lucky man. Sounds like the perfect words for a tattoo.

Jeanie said...

A very happy anniversary to you both. It sounds like a lovely way to spend the day.

Joanne Noragon said...

Happy anniversary. Have a good day.

Red said...

Congratulations on the 55th. You beat us by 4 days. The May long weekend is a popular date for teachers to get married.