Thursday, May 16, 2024

Honouring Mary


Although I have various family photos printed, it has bothered me that I didn't have one of my mother. I do have a small b&w version of this photo in a generations collage, but I thought she deserved higher recognition.


Either I or Sue took this snapshot on the occasion of Mary's eightieth birthday in 1995. I scanned the little print and edited it quite a few years ago, in 2011 as a matter of fact. As I already mentioned, I used a little b&w version in a collage, but I hadn't got around to printing it properly until now. (Actually, it is still not printed properly but you can read about that it the footnote, below.) Today, the 109th anniversary of her birth, seemed to finally be the time to rectify this oversight, for I finally, supposedly at least, have a functioning printer (also see below).

Mary Rayner (nee Quinlan), lived for almost eight more years after we took the birthday picture She passed just over a month before completing her eighty-eighth year. Mom lived longer than her parents, brother and husband and certainly longer than her twin sisters who both died in infancy.

I feel better to have printed it. Now I just have to hang it somewhere.

(It's not a great print. It has some random black ink spatter here and there, and the page is not as well laid out as I would like it to be, but it is something for the present. I am having trouble getting big prints to process properly with this printer. Sometimes, I think I have the photo paper jammed in too tightly, and sometimes, I think it is too loose.)

18 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a lovely tribute to Mary! I imagine having her smiling portrait to see will be a reminder of her love for you. Not to mention some wonderful stories you probably remember as well. Sorry printer is mis-behaving. The cost of photo paper and ink says it should do well!

Jenn Jilks said...

That is lovely! Nice having these mementoes.

DJan said...

It's a beautiful portrait, and she does look the picture of health. :-)

Ed said...

I long ago gave up color printing. There always seemed to be problems and it was expensive keeping stocked in ink cartridges. Now I just load them up online and go pick them up at the neighborhood drugstore an hour later. They have a printer that is the size of a small car and does an excellent job. For an 11 x 14 inch print, it costs me $13. Well worth the price.

Granny Sue said...

What a sweet face she had! You do resemble her very strongly,, AC. It wasn't until a few years ago that I put up photos of my mother and father. I chose some from when they were young, as that is how I like to think of them, in those early, exciting days just after marrying in England, the end of the war, starting their new life in a new world.

Cloudia said...

A very nice tribute to a beautiful woman. Blessings my friend! Aloha!

Margaret said...

That's a beautiful photo of her!

RedPat said...

That is a lovely shot of your mum. She looks like a nice lady.

MARY G said...

I hear you. When my old colour printer died, the loss was high. The new, highly touted replacement does not come to the same standard.
I think I see, in your mother's smile, more than a hint of what appears in your daughter and grandaughter's. Lovely.

Sandra said...

You mom looks like a kind person. You will find a special place to hang her photo.

Marie Smith said...

That is a beautiful photo of your mom. There is a strong family resemblance for sure.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

She looks like a beautiful and kind soul. Glad you made the print!

roentare said...

Good to keep memories alive

Vicki Lane said...

Well done! It's a lovely portrait.

Joanne Noragon said...

A lovely mom.

Red said...

Nice way to honor your Mom. Well said.

Debby said...

Man oh man! You do look like your mother. And if I can add one thing...I think it is a lovely picture!

Jeanie said...

This is a beautiful portrait of your mom, AC. She has a wonderful smile and I know she was smiling especially for you when you did the photo. I'm glad it will be finding a place in your home.